Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2nd ribs on LBGE

Options
Dragonwmatches
Dragonwmatches Posts: 221
edited July 2013 in EggHead Forum
Ok, my first attempt on Thursday just whet my appetite to do better, so I'm giving it another go today. Bought another rack of spare ribs at Kroger, but cut it STL style this time. This is not the best rack of ribs-fattier than the previous one, and the thin bones get very thin, long and curvy, so it's a little funky. But I went STL style this time to see if they cook more evenly, and decided to go 3-2-1 to test tenderness. So far 3 hrs in, just foiled and back on temp holding pretty steady @250-260. I also rubbed the spare rib tips and put them on, but not foiling-will pull after 4 hrs and check it out. So far, I've maintained a lower temp, rubbed the whole thing rather than leaving a couple clean (for daughter who hates black pepper-she can deal with it this time), added more rub, added a couple hickory chunks instead of chips, and also split my lighter cubes in half and lit the fire in two spots to hopefully get more even burn inside and more smoke. Wife and daughter just drooled over the smell at 3 hrs! Bones not twisting yet, but color is pretty good-still think I could get it darker with more smoke into it. Are the spare rib tips supposed to have small bone extensions in it or did I not trim correctly? They're curvy and look funky to me.
It's an obsession, but it's pleasin'

Comments

• Dragonwmatches
    Options
    OK-turned out better than the first batch, but still not exactly what I was shooting for. There was plenty of liquid in the foil after the 3-2 part of 3-2-1 method, and they were tender then but not fall-off-the-bone-I left the dome closed @ 250-260 for the first 3 and left the heat there throughout. Lost some heat for the last hour and thought I killed the fire, so I pulled them about 30-40min into the final hour. They were very good, but I was hoping for even more tender using the foil. I'll post pics in a while-didn't get pics while cooking, but have a couple leftover in the fridge. Thoughts on getting moister? Foil after pulling? More spritz? Is that last hour important to tenderness? I thought that was mostly to firm back up and get some bark (which was good).
  • Dragonwmatches
    Options
    Here's a pic of a center rib.