Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Broke my foot off in one.......

This brisket was unreal. $1.49 per lb 4th of July special. My god man. This was killer. Holy cow man. Did I mention this was good? Bad Byron's. oak. Period. And I'm floating in the middle of Lake Travis with the kids and friends. Life is very good today. image

·

Comments

• Looks really good. Still intimidated by brisket. Working myself up to try one before the summer is over.
    ·
  • Looks really good. Still intimidated by brisket. Working myself up to try one before the summer is over.

Come on in. Water's fine. We'll walk you through when you when you are ready.

·
  • HotchHotch Posts: 1,483

Wow that looks great.

"You’re not a real Texan till you’ve been kicked out of every decent state in America." - Joe Bob Briggs

LBGE, Mini BGE and R&V Fryer

Prosper TX

And your are correct, Texas Red has no Beans

·
  • WolfpackWolfpack Posts: 1,450
    Damn...
    Greensboro, NC
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,588
    I hate your face....
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
    Did I mention I hate your face..
    ·
    By the way... I hate your face...
    ·
  • So I cut this one a little different and I loved it. I posted a vid from Robert Rodriguez last month where he cuts the flat off where the point starts then he cuts the point down the middle longways (turn 90 degrees after you gut off the flat). That's what this pic is. Made a huge difference. Bark all the way around every bite.

·
  • The Cen-Tex SmokerThe Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 12,712
    edited July 2013
    henapple said:
    By the way... I hate your face...

So how do you really feel?

·
  • hapsterhapster Posts: 7,052
    Looks awesome!!! Have fun!
    ·
  • Alright-I'm mentally prepping for the 9lb brisket in my freezer. Lots to consider, but one question I have is burnt ends. I love the idea and sound of burnt ends, but is this "finished" in any way after the long brisket cook? Franklin's videos are great about informing about both the meat and the cook, but I get the sense that there's more work to do with this piece.
    It's an obsession, but it's pleasin'
    ·
  • Alright-I'm mentally prepping for the 9lb brisket in my freezer. Lots to consider, but one question I have is burnt ends. I love the idea and sound of burnt ends, but is this "finished" in any way after the long brisket cook? Franklin's videos are great about informing about both the meat and the cook, but I get the sense that there's more work to do with this piece.

I don't do burnt ends. That cut you see above is what you would cube up to make burnt ends. It's the best piece so I eat it as it is. Burnt ends are delicious but not really traditional in our area. I wouldn't give up my delicious point for anything.

·
  • TerrebanditTerrebandit Posts: 1,333
    Cen-Tex, give us the cook detail one more time, please. That piece looks so moist and good. I've got to master this.
    Dave - Austin, TX
    ·
  • if only I could be you Cent-Tex....Another job well done. You never xease to amaze me.
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    ·
  • BotchBotch Posts: 3,277
    I'm curious as to why a brisket has such a "fear factor" built into them.
    They are my favorite smoke, and after doing dozens of them (mostly on my $50 water smoker) I've only had one bad one.  AND, it was a double brisket smoke, the other one was perfect, so I think I just got a bad piece of meat.
    As long as you cook to temp (and, on my water smoker, I didn't) and take it to 200 F, I don't see how you can go wrong.  
    Aggie96, dammit, it's early July!  Do NOT wait until the end of the summer to try one!  Just do it, darnit!  
    And post pics, mmmkay?  
    ;)

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
    ·
  • Well...I can answer yournquestion with one word..........Confindence...
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    ·
  • I should have followed that last post with......Buuurppp!!!
    image.jpg 1.1M
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    ·
  • Cen-Tex, give us the cook detail one more time, please. That piece looks so moist and good. I've got to master this.
    Excel Choice Brisket- nothing fancy ($1.49 per lb).

Trim all hard fat off and trim any thick pieces of the fat cap down to 1/8 inch or so
    rub all over with Bad byrons
    Get really drunk while the fire is getting going
    Throw on 5-6 decent sized oak chunks
    Throw brisket on in a fog and eyeball the draft door/daisy settings to approximate 250 degrees
    Pass out
    when done, FTC for an hour or 8

Now for the slice:

Find where the point and flat meet and cut the flat off right there.
    Turn point 90 degress and cut it right down the middle.
    Start slicing the point from the fat end (where you cut it off) down toward the skinny end. That way everyone gets the best bites first
    cut the point from the center cut of each half out toward the ends.

This is really not that hard of a cook but it does take a few to get the hang of it.Once you do, they just get better and better.

·
  • Austin  EggheadAustin Egghead Posts: 3,343
    edited July 2013
    ^:)^ :-SS
    Dayum good lookingwhat is left of it brisket
    Eggin in SW "Keep it Weird" TX
    ·
  • shtgunal3shtgunal3 Posts: 2,902
    Nice, I have to try one soon.

With oak of course.

LBGE,SBGE, and a mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

·
  • Looks like killer 'cue, Cen-Tex. Nice!
    ·
  • Cen-tex I have tried a few and have always saught your advice...now that being said each time that I have trusted and listened to your advice they have gotten better and better. Your advice and wisdom is much appreciated and for sure needed. Thanks and Be sure that I will be writing and asking for help in the near future. Thanks very much!
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    ·
  • sumoconnellsumoconnell Posts: 1,007
    I'm not even cooking brisket, but I'm on step four! I'm a better cook than I thought :)

(Don Julio reposado)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
    ·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 7,063
    Looks terrific. And what a sale! I found $2. 18/lb at HEB, Kroger was cleaned out.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,935
    I bought a 14 pound black angus choice brisky today.  They were behind the counter - the meat guy thought I was crazy when I asked him for the largest, floppiest one.   I explained - the floppy ones have less hard fat.  He said he'd remember that.

·
  • Your something else... I will take my luck... All the best
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    ·
  • Your something else... I will take my luck... All the best

My wife says that to me all the time :). Hit me up when you are ready.

·
  • probably next week
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    ·
  • probably next week

Bring it.

·