Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rutland gasket with Channel

Options
Hi,

I spoke to a local fireplace supplier and asked about the Rutland gasket. She has the size of the gasket mentioned on a spool here http://www.nakedwhiz.com/rutlandgasket/gasket.htm but says that there is a channel in the middle for the glass of the fireplace. Is this what I am looking for?

Thanks for the help

Comments

• B&BKnox
    B&BKnox Posts: 283
    Options
    Mine is smooth just like the completed pic on the link you provided, no channel.  Not sure but they may sell a rope, more rounded, and a tape more flat I have the tape, my neighbor used the rope.  Both worked.
    Be Well

Knoxville TN
  • B&BKnox
    B&BKnox Posts: 283
    Options
    this is it, the 5/8" x 84" flat version.

Be Well

Knoxville TN
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    I'd get the flat, not the rope.  The rope is like a tube, and once you glue it flat, the "top half" is always going to be loose, if that makes sense.
    What size egg are you doing?  If you have a large or smaller you can buy the kits just about anywhere (online, local hardware store).  If you have an XL, the kits are NOT big enough.
    Also, if you end up getting a kit, don't use the supplied Rutland adhesive, go to any auto parts store and get some Permatex Ultra Copper $6-$7 bucks.
    Packerland, Wisconsin