Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Epilogue to a bumpy road story

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,898
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After a hot start last night in which I blew through 200 only to stay put at 260 dome somewhere after 6 hours into it the fire died. And no, TimM I didn't just dump my lump in - I carefully completed the jigsaw puzzle layer after layer as Elder Ward suggested...I wonder it I made it too tight?) Anyway I found my cold egg at 5:00, restarted the fire and then got back on target. By 12:00 internal was 200 and off she came. Cooled for an hour and then pulled it -OOOOHHHHH, so good! Just had to sample it all along aided my a cold Bud. Epilogue to this epilogue - I'm a firecracker kid and this is my 56th birthday...what did my lovely mate of 34 years give me? Yup, a small BGE to go with my large! 8^) The dealer even threw in a BGE can cooler plus the VCR tape, so I can put some faces and voices to some of you characters! Happy 4th to one and all! RRP

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    RRP, glad to hear you got your new toy! But then, if not today - tomorrow! Also glad to hear that the PP turned out great... actually I could smell it while I was trimming trees this morning. [p]BTW - I'm one of the ones that doesn't carefully srack the lump - I just kind of throw it in - works for me. Happy 4th! Are you going to the river fireworks tonight? Damens was selling reserved seats for $50/person... think I'll just stay home for a quiet evening.[p]

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Gfw, Me too.. the main thing for low and slow is a good starter core fire and draft flow. I just did a "dump and go" for pork boneless country styles..Later, ribeyes, and maybe some brats...Beer is essential..its the Fourth of July
    Have a good one Gordon.
    C~W[p]

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    I totally agree with you and Gordon about dump and go.

• Gfw
    Options
    Char-Woody, I totally agree with the "Beer is essential..its the Fourth of July" and would almost say that the a beer and the bGE go quite nicely together - this has been a great weekend... I've captured a least 5 new cooks for the near future - America is truely a great country - full of possibilities and opportunities! '[p]Best to you and yours...[p]Gfw[p]
    [ul][li]Gfw's BBQ[/ul]
  • Gfw
    Options
    JJ, from one to another... happy 4th! Life in this country is the BEST!

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Gfw, Thanks! Pay THEM $50? They couldn't pay ME $50 to sit down there in the dark surrounded by strangers who get even more strange on the way back to your car and stranger yet when the traffic gets snarled. Peoria's finest do their best, but they want to get home FAST just like most of the loop-legged spectators! Attended one years ago which turned totally ugly and I swore I'd never go again. So, nope, won't be there...hell I'm not even going to the hoopla at the end of our cul-de-sac. Got my wife, my Westies, my BGEs and yes, Gordon, LIFE IS GOOD! Ron

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    RRP,[p]Sorry RRP, that part in Elders "recipe" about layering and sorting the lump is kind-of-a cruel joke. No one does that more than once. There is totally no need to do it, JJ and I had just emailed each other about just that very thing and I was being bad and mentioned it jokingly. [p]Glad it all came out - PP is actually quite easy if you can keep the fire going for 17-22 hrs (and that is not too hard either). [p]Tim M
    segg1.gif

• Gfw
    Options
    RRP, based on current events, I think there are going to be some refunds... at least the city will make money on parking![p]I appologize to all the forum participants who don't live in Peoria - or just maybe, I envy them! [p]