Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcock Chicken

Options
Giving it a try for the first time tomorrow. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated? I know it will turn out better than pizza last night. Thanks!!

Comments

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    I made two of them tonight and they were wonderful. Get fresh chickens. I like the ones that are 4 to 4.5 lbs. spatchcock them and clean them good with water. Dry them off good. I like to use zesty Italian dressing mixed with your favorite seasoning and some salt. Apply the mixture under the skin at the breasts and thighs. Rub a light coating of Italian dressing on the outer skin and sprinkle rub over the top of that. Cook the chickens with indirect heat at 375. Cook until you have an internal temp of 165 inside the breast. Do not lift the lid of the egg until they have reached this temp or close to it. Remove the chicken from the egg, cover with foil, and let it rest for 15 to 30 minutes. Do this and the will be perfect.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Big Ragu
    Big Ragu Posts: 148
    Options
    Where can you find fresh chickens?
  • Arbucklej
    Arbucklej Posts: 90
    Options
    Not sure where u are located but I get them from the farmers market here in Waco tx
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Big Ragu said:
    Where can you find fresh chickens?
    I get mine from a local chicken farmer (rancher?). However, your local butcher or grocery store should have fresh whole chickens.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    I like to brine my chickens for 4 hours before smoking or grilling them.  2-3 Tbsp of kosher salt per quart of water, enough to cover the bird and keep on refrigeration.

I am assuming you read the spatchcock bible ;)  http://www.nakedwhiz.com/spatch.htm  

That is pretty close to what I do with good results.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • CajunEggHead
    CajunEggHead Posts: 189
    Options
    Next to the fresh eggs and fresh bread

1 Large Big Green Egg
     1 Weber Kettle
     1 Weber Weber Smokey Mountain 18"
     1 Long Horn Off Set
     1 Bradley Smoker
     1 Weber Silver Gasser