Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Merry Christmas and may your holiday be filled with delicious food and loved ones...to help you devour the food! Our Holiday Entertaining Guide can help if you’re still making a Christmas menu. If you’re looking for fun, last minute holiday activities, check out EGGcellent Sugar Cookies, BGE Cake Pops, Santa Hat Brownies, Pig Candy or Holiday Drinks! See you in the New Year EGGheads!

The 17th Annual EGGtoberfest was amazing - here are the highlights Click Here

Potato on egg and tinfoil?

This might be a dumb question but why do some wrap there baked ( egged) potatos in tinfoil when on egg wouldn't they be better unfoiled to get a little smokey flavor? Doing some the w/e and wasnt sure about the foil part ???

Any favorite potato techniques for the egg???

thanks.

Hows ya gettin' on, me ol cock

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).

Comments

• fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 16,258
    i think the foil goes back to campfire days, much better no foil in the egg, oil them , salt them, bake them
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 12,251
    Wrapping them in foil gives the skin a softer texture and keeps them warm longer after cooking - it also reduces smoke flavor.  The current predominant technique for baked potatoes is to pierce, coat them in oil and course salt and bake without foil. 

• gpsegggpsegg Posts: 287
    Agree.......in foil, they are steamed.....not baked.
    George
    Palm Beach Gardens, Fl and Blue Ridge, Ga.
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 5,131
    I like them without foil. If I need to keep them warm I will foil them after they are cooked. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg wing. 
    2014 Wing King's Apprentice
  • CANMAN1976CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,496

Those tat's look delicious brianbala.Trying those for sure!!!

Hows ya gettin' on, me ol cock

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • brianbalabrianbala Posts: 27
    They look much better when they've been done on the egg, with some smoke - Nice chared skin.
    Two Large Eggs - Located in Marietta, GA (East Cobb)
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 5,131
    brianbala said:
    Here a photo of a potato cook that I duplicated the other night. You slice the potato as thin as you can, almost all the way through, drizzle olive oil, add S&P to taste, and bake it in the egg, indirect at about 400 for an hour or until its tender. I finished it with chives and sour creme.
    That looks great man!  I tried that once but didn't slice them thin enough and/or didn't go long enough.  Might have to give this another try! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg wing. 
    2014 Wing King's Apprentice
  • sharhammsharhamm Posts: 254
    Next time you make the sliced "Hasselback" potatoes put chopsticks next to both long sides and they will prevent you from slicing completely through the potato.
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 12,251
    brianbala said:
    Here a photo of a potato cook that I duplicated the other night. You slice the potato as thin as you can, almost all the way through, drizzle olive oil, add S&P to taste, and bake it in the egg, indirect at about 400 for an hour or until its tender. I finished it with chives and sour creme.
    I saw them make that on America's test kitchen the other day....they microwaved the potato to soften it up some, then cut it and washed out any surface starch, coated with oil, baked, then added cheese and chives (and whatever), then broiled.  Looked good.

• SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 6,084
    Lots of good advice here, crashed taters, from the Pioneer Woman are also favourites. 

Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
  • smokesniffersmokesniffer Posts: 1,629
    after you have scrubbed them, poke a few holes in them, coat them in EVO, S&P and some garlic salt. On the egg for about 1 hour.. if you are into eating the skin, you get a little "zap' of garlic. We really enjoy that. And for sure no foil