Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Here are some of our new favorite non-beef burgers: Italian Turkey Burger, Grilled Tuna Burger and Goat Cheese Portobello Burger. You’ll want to perfect these before football season starts up in a few weeks! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

What LBGE gear to start with?

2»

Comments

• ChubbsChubbs Posts: 3,590
    Access meat on two tiers cant get easier that the AR with the slide guides. If you get the R&B Combo it comes with a slide guide, then get the grid extender. Hell  you can go three levelr with this setup, but accessing two is easy.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • YankeeQ said:

Thanks guys - I am going to get the swing extender now, but as finster said, I will probably end up with both eventually.
    SmokinTiger81 - I bbq a lot of stuff Caribbean style, which requires basting and rotating the meat a few times during the cook, so access to both levels is required. For low and slows, I fully agree

Good to see another Trini smoking away on his Egg.. Do you steam your seasoned chicken before tossing it on the egg over direct heat? I know a lot of Trini's prefer that style of BBQ.
    Tomorrow I'm heading to Grainger to pick up a thrust bearing, so the homemade swing top grate will be able to move freely. Pics will be posted soon

Hey smokin, no I don't steam my chicken, I am old school, slow and low, then I raise the temperature at the end - dunking in bbq sauce every time I flip the chicken.
    I can't wait to get the swivel grill. I ordered it today :)
  • Chubbs said:
    It is a great video - I just don't think I will get the AR first.
    It looks that it will work well when smoking butts and low and slow meats that I will leave on for a long time.
  • SkinnyVSkinnyV Posts: 1,541
    If you want to save some $$ I did woo + $25 grid extender. Works for now and I am covered.
    AR looks fun but i would wanted the $200+ set up (r&b, extra grid, extender etc...)
    Seattle, WA
  • SkinnyV said:

If you want to save some $$ I did woo + $25 grid extender. Works for now and I am covered.
    AR looks fun but i would wanted the $200+ set up (r&b, extra grid, extender etc...)

Good call (had to research what a Woo was), I will add to list of "must haves".
  • YankeeQYankeeQ Posts: 12
    Thanks guys - I am going to get the swing extender now, but as finster said, I will probably end up with both eventually. SmokinTiger81 - I bbq a lot of stuff Caribbean style, which requires basting and rotating the meat a few times during the cook, so access to both levels is required. For low and slows, I fully agree
    Good to see another Trini smoking away on his Egg.. Do you steam your seasoned chicken before tossing it on the egg over direct heat? I know a lot of Trini's prefer that style of BBQ.

Tomorrow I'm heading to Grainger to pick up a thrust bearing, so the homemade swing top grate will be able to move freely. Pics will be posted soon

Hey smokin, no I don't steam my chicken, I am old school, slow and low, then I raise the temperature at the end - dunking in bbq sauce every time I flip the chicken. I can't wait to get the swivel grill. I ordered it today :)
    Me personally, I don't steam my chicken but my old man & uncles swear by it! Last week my wife made some sada roti on the egg with a pizza stone. I don't think I will ever go back to making it on the stove top haha.. Post some pics of the swing grate!
    Westchester, NY
    LBGE + Guru controller

BBQ & Horsepower = My Life!
    IR-Designs.com
    Facebook/IRDesigns
  • YankeeQ said:

YankeeQ said:

Thanks guys - I am going to get the swing extender now, but as finster said, I will probably end up with both eventually.
    SmokinTiger81 - I bbq a lot of stuff Caribbean style, which requires basting and rotating the meat a few times during the cook, so access to both levels is required. For low and slows, I fully agree

Hey smokin, no I don't steam my chicken, I am old school, slow and low, then I raise the temperature at the end - dunking in bbq sauce every time I flip the chicken.
    I can't wait to get the swivel grill. I ordered it today :)

Me personally, I don't steam my chicken but my old man & uncles swear by it! Last week my wife made some sada roti on the egg with a pizza stone. I don't think I will ever go back to making it on the stove top haha.. Post some pics of the swing grate!

Well when I was young we would season the chicken, put in the fridge and then the making of the bbq sauce would start - this would take at least 6 - 8 hours with numerous Carib/Stag beers and rum consumed.
    Eventually we would put the chicken on without sauce initially then start dunking in the sauce and flipping - we used Mora charcoal, which has an amazing flavour and burns forever!
    People who par-boil chicken usually are in a rush - we never were :)
    I am going to try sada roti when I get back (off to Trini next week) - that is an amazing idea.
    Will post pics when I get and use swing grate for sure.