Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What LBGE gear to start with?

Options
2»

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Access meat on two tiers cant get easier that the AR with the slide guides. If you get the R&B Combo it comes with a slide guide, then get the grid extender. Hell  you can go three levelr with this setup, but accessing two is easy.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Trini_in_Ottawa
    Options
    YankeeQ said:

Thanks guys - I am going to get the swing extender now, but as finster said, I will probably end up with both eventually.
    SmokinTiger81 - I bbq a lot of stuff Caribbean style, which requires basting and rotating the meat a few times during the cook, so access to both levels is required. For low and slows, I fully agree

Good to see another Trini smoking away on his Egg.. Do you steam your seasoned chicken before tossing it on the egg over direct heat? I know a lot of Trini's prefer that style of BBQ.
    Tomorrow I'm heading to Grainger to pick up a thrust bearing, so the homemade swing top grate will be able to move freely. Pics will be posted soon

Hey smokin, no I don't steam my chicken, I am old school, slow and low, then I raise the temperature at the end - dunking in bbq sauce every time I flip the chicken.
    I can't wait to get the swivel grill. I ordered it today :)
  • Trini_in_Ottawa
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    It is a great video - I just don't think I will get the AR first.
    It looks that it will work well when smoking butts and low and slow meats that I will leave on for a long time.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    If you want to save some $$ I did woo + $25 grid extender. Works for now and I am covered.
    AR looks fun but i would wanted the $200+ set up (r&b, extra grid, extender etc...)
    Seattle, WA
  • Trini_in_Ottawa
    Options
    SkinnyV said:

If you want to save some $$ I did woo + $25 grid extender. Works for now and I am covered.
    AR looks fun but i would wanted the $200+ set up (r&b, extra grid, extender etc...)

Good call (had to research what a Woo was), I will add to list of "must haves".
  • YankeeQ
    YankeeQ Posts: 12
    Options
    Thanks guys - I am going to get the swing extender now, but as finster said, I will probably end up with both eventually. SmokinTiger81 - I bbq a lot of stuff Caribbean style, which requires basting and rotating the meat a few times during the cook, so access to both levels is required. For low and slows, I fully agree
    Good to see another Trini smoking away on his Egg.. Do you steam your seasoned chicken before tossing it on the egg over direct heat? I know a lot of Trini's prefer that style of BBQ.
    Tomorrow I'm heading to Grainger to pick up a thrust bearing, so the homemade swing top grate will be able to move freely. Pics will be posted soon

Hey smokin, no I don't steam my chicken, I am old school, slow and low, then I raise the temperature at the end - dunking in bbq sauce every time I flip the chicken. I can't wait to get the swivel grill. I ordered it today :)
    Me personally, I don't steam my chicken but my old man & uncles swear by it! Last week my wife made some sada roti on the egg with a pizza stone. I don't think I will ever go back to making it on the stove top haha.. Post some pics of the swing grate!
    Westchester, NY
    LBGE + Guru controller

BBQ & Horsepower = My Life!
    IR-Designs.com
    Facebook/IRDesigns
  • Trini_in_Ottawa
    Options
    YankeeQ said:

YankeeQ said:

Thanks guys - I am going to get the swing extender now, but as finster said, I will probably end up with both eventually.
    SmokinTiger81 - I bbq a lot of stuff Caribbean style, which requires basting and rotating the meat a few times during the cook, so access to both levels is required. For low and slows, I fully agree

Hey smokin, no I don't steam my chicken, I am old school, slow and low, then I raise the temperature at the end - dunking in bbq sauce every time I flip the chicken.
    I can't wait to get the swivel grill. I ordered it today :)

Me personally, I don't steam my chicken but my old man & uncles swear by it! Last week my wife made some sada roti on the egg with a pizza stone. I don't think I will ever go back to making it on the stove top haha.. Post some pics of the swing grate!

Well when I was young we would season the chicken, put in the fridge and then the making of the bbq sauce would start - this would take at least 6 - 8 hours with numerous Carib/Stag beers and rum consumed.
    Eventually we would put the chicken on without sauce initially then start dunking in the sauce and flipping - we used Mora charcoal, which has an amazing flavour and burns forever!
    People who par-boil chicken usually are in a rush - we never were :)
    I am going to try sada roti when I get back (off to Trini next week) - that is an amazing idea.
    Will post pics when I get and use swing grate for sure.