Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Why is my Butt done??????

Options
Eric
Eric Posts: 83
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Set the temp about 225 and put 2 butts (5.5 and 6 lbs) in around 9 pm last night. Last time I checked at 11:30 pm the temp was around 240. I closed the vent just a smidge and went to bed. 5:30 am I get up and the temp is around 230. Should be perfect except the big butt is showing a 187 with a polder. I repoked him and got 190 (close to the bone is 167). I poked the smaller one and it is real close to 200 in a couple of spots. Why are they both done after only 8 hrs?? I did make a slight mod by hanging a metal pan from a Brinkmann water smoker just below the grill to catch drippings. Surely it didn't act as a heat reflector and cook the butts faster. Any ideas? [p]I am going for a 30 minute run, remove the meat and then wake the wife to tell her our picnic is 6:30 am not pm!

Comments

• Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Options
    Eric,[p]Not sure what to tell you. When you stick a fork in the butts, does it twist easily? If not, then maybe your Polders are off or you're hitting pockets of fat, as improbable as that seems.[p]If they are done, you can keep them hot for several hours by wrapping in foil then putting in a warm cooler lined with towels. Or pull and gently reheat at dinner time. Or even, if they're not quite tender, let them cool and then put them back on the Egg to warm up later.[p]I did a brisket that behaved like this once. Every piece of meat has its own personality and timetable...but it sounds like you got twins![p]It will still be delicious. Enjoy dinner...or breakfast![p]Cathy
  • Unknown
    Options
    Eric,[p]Pork butts and briskets are strange creatures. I don't think any two of them ever cook alike. I don't think your addition of the metal pan had much to do with your time in this cook. I do find it strange that your check of the temp close to the bone is higher than the temp in the center of the meat. In my experience, I will get a higher reading closer to the bone. If it was me, I would close the bottom vents and let the meat finish at a lower temp if you need some time. I would pull the smaller butt at no higher than 205 degrees internal and wrap and place it in a cooler until you are ready to pull it. Do the large butt in the same manner. Your are in for a real treat as pork butts are just great in the Egg. [p]This is just one old fellows opinion and I'm sure you will get some other information.[p]Old Dave

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    butt6.gif
    <p />Eric,[p]I am with Cat - seems odd, like something is wrong. To be honest - I never poked one more than once so testing in different areas is new to me, but it would seem normal to find hot spots. I would repolder in a 170-180 area and keep cooking. The cooking rise is not linear and it will reach a plateau from 150-180 and hold there for a long time before rising to 200. I doubt that your are done, they are certainly "safe" to eat but I wouldn't quit yet.[p] Pictured is a time vs temp graph I did of a butt I did once.[p]Tim
  • Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    Eric, one item to check is the accuracy of your dome thermometer - make sure by calibrating it that it is giving you the actual temperature - sounds like it might possibly reading a little low. Check out the link.

[ul][li]Calibrating the Dome Thermometer[/ul]
  • Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Tim M,[p]That's awesome. Most people I know think cooking out means throwing on a couple burgers and dogs. Here at the BGE Forum, we have charts and graphs![p]Nice work,
    Cornfed

• davidm
    davidm Posts: 64
    Options
    Eric,[p]Actually, it seems about right to me. I figure 2 1/2 hours per pound and that comes to about 15 hours, which takes you out of the Egg at about noon. And bone-in always cooks a little faster.[p]Those nine-pound butts are a 24-hour extravaganza, but I think you are ready to apply Cat's excellent suggestions for holding the meat until dinnertime. It also means you can relax for more of the day![p]Cheers,[p]David
  • Tim M
    Options
    Cornfed,
    Its the engineer in me coming out again. [p]Tim

• Tim M
    Options
    Eric,
    I see that you posted the same question on the GD forum 1 hr before you posted it here ---- I hope you liked their reply. Let us know if you ever try it "that way".[p]Tim