Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egging turkey & roast beef for slicing sandwich meat

Options
I've borrowed a slicer and would like to cook my own turkey breast and roast beef for slicing sandwich meat. Like a sub shop only DIY (and better). I'd like some advice on what meat to buy. Turkey for example comes in various frozen/fresh, white meat/dark meat, and then bone in/boneless. Frankly, sometimes it can be difficult to find just an uncooked boneless turkey breast. (possibly I'm looking wrong store or section or wrong time of year?). Once I figure out what to by, I'll likely brine the breast and then apple wood smoke. Any suggested rub/seasoning? 

For Roast beef, what type of cut should I go with? Bottom Round or "eye" round? I'd like quality not necessarily cheap. Any wood to smoke it? What about rub/seasoning? 

Thanks for the advice! 

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

Comments

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    Turkey breast(bone in) is very cheap and available year round, easy to egg and easy to pull from the bone.  makes great sliced beef.  You are "right on" with the beef, eye of the round isn't too expensive, cooked rare and sliced, makes good sammies!
  • WiltOnTilt
    WiltOnTilt Posts: 102
    Options
    What temp and technique would you guys recommend for eye of round? I got one on sale for roast beef sandwiches
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    Just s&p !  Cooked direct at gasket level at 350 degrees - turn to get a good sear, but don't let it get above 125 degrees internal or it will be too tough for sandwiches.  I let it cool just enough to be able to handle then slice the entire thing.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I cook roast beef at the lowest temp I can maintain with smoke, like oak.  Pull at 125.  I don't worry about a sear, it's sliced thin.
    Options
    for deli beef cook below 300 dome direct works.  ive never made turkey but suspect 275 to 300 dome would be better than a higher roasting temp as well, sliced turkey textures seems more like my low and slow turkey cooks than my tday roast turkey cooks
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it