Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Creole crawfish au gratin calzone - lotta pics

Upgraded our KA mixer a couple of weeks ago and I mixed up a kilo of Tipo 00 pizza dough.  Made a couple pizzas, have some dough left over in the fridge.  Seems to get better if you let it age for a while. 

Anyway, took about half of what was left over and combined it with some excellent crawfish au gratin SWMBO made yesterday to make calzone. 

I added some tomato, onion, cheese and creole spice.  Cooked around 500 F until the IT was around 190-200.

Came out great. Here are some pics.

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

·

Comments

• Wow! Nuff said!
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
    ·
  • hapsterhapster Posts: 7,052
    Soon as I saw the title I knew I'd be liking this post.
    ·
  • Those look awesome.
    ·
  • That looks great Nola!  How's your homemade Super Peel holding up?

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

·
  • Very nice!!!
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,812
    That looks great Nola!  How's your homemade Super Peel holding up?
    Well, I learned I should have pre-shrunk the canvas before I cut it.  But other than that, I've been using it every time I need to transfer dough, and I cook a lot of pies, calzone and stromboli.  That thing is fiberglassed with epoxy...it'll be around long after I'm gone.

·
  • SkinnyVSkinnyV Posts: 2,705
    When freezing dough balls is it before any rise? Does it matter?
    Seattle, WA
    ·
    Sucks that I didn't notice I had my exposure compensation down a stop until after I posted these pics....
    :((

·
    SkinnyV said:
    When freezing dough balls is it before any rise? Does it matter?
    It's better to let it rise before you freeze.  After you thaw it, you can punch it down and let it proof. It needs to rise to room temp, which takes a while.  In this case, the dough is fresh, been in the fridge for a week.

But you can freeze immediately after making the dough....freezing just arrests the fermentation, it doesn't kill the yeast.  You just have a longer process after thawing.

·
  • Austin  EggheadAustin Egghead Posts: 3,343
    Nailed it  =D>
    Eggin in SW "Keep it Weird" TX
    ·
  • shtgunal3shtgunal3 Posts: 2,902
    Nice!

LBGE,SBGE, and a mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

·
    I prepped my Little Steven's "get stuffed" throw-down entry before I made this... Here's a sneak preview. 

·
  • shtgunal3shtgunal3 Posts: 2,902
    Is it stuffed with beet sausage?

LBGE,SBGE, and a mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

·
    shtgunal3 said:
    Is it stuffed with beet sausage?
    Nope.  The inside has top secret ingredients held together with transglutaminase, aka "meat glue". 

·
    And I'd like to thank Cen-Tex for the meat glue...thankfully we didn't get our car searched on the way back from Salado.

·
  • thetrimthetrim Posts: 1,123
    Seeing that special "TC" made me wish @nolaegghead was my elf....
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14
    Tampa Bay, FL
    ·
  • AltonAlton Posts: 442
    @nolaegghead YOU ARE THE BOMB!!!! Great Idea, Crawfish Calzones.... WHO DAT!!!
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......
    ·