Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Anyone do their own deli meats off the egg?

After successfully cooking the tri tip I was thinking a meat slicer would make some mean deli meat. Anyone do this on a regular basis?
·

Comments

• GrannyX4GrannyX4 Posts: 1,458
    Yes. Right now I have Canadian bacon and pastrami in the freezer. Saturday I will cook a boneless pork loin for dinner and leftovers will be sliced for sandwiches. Turkey and chicken breast are done on a regular basis. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,222
    I recently did a batch of pastrami and turkey breast.  Sous vide first, then smoked.

·
  • Hi54puttyHi54putty Posts: 1,572
    We do smoked turkey breast (no added solution) and roast beef.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
    ·
  • Doc_EggertonDoc_Eggerton Posts: 4,371
    Canadian Bacon

Pasquali Luciano
    Buon appetito to all the BGE family
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE and lots of toys

·
    Pastrami
    Pasquali Luciano

·
  • BoilereggerBoileregger Posts: 326
    Looks great. Somebody want to post a how-to??
    ·
  • bigphilbigphil Posts: 1,386
    i have done canadian and regular bacon ,roast beef ,pastrami and turkey breast all fantastic way better off the egg imho 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
    ·
    Pasquali Luciano

·
  • DeviledeggerDeviledegger Posts: 235
    I have done Turkey breast. It's the way to go. So much healthier (lol) and a lot better. Real turkey over deli meat, real turkey wins every time!
    ·
  • mountaindewbassmountaindewbass Posts: 1,744
    So you just buy a whole turkey or what? I really want to grind my own turkey..but I have to buy a whole bird..which would be overkill
    ·
  • BigWaderBigWader Posts: 588
    edited June 2013

I've done turkey, Canadian Bacon, regular bacon.  Really want to try different roast beefs and other charcuterie.  Turkey was fantastic...

Large BGE

·
  • BoilereggerBoileregger Posts: 326
    @BigWader that turkey looks fantastic. Could you post your method/recipe?
    ·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,923

Nope. Never done pit beef.

Nor have I ever done turkey.

:D

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 17,124
    deli beef(cook under 300 dome), ham, pastrami, roast pork, deli style meatloaf.

·
    heres a trick with pastrami, roll and tie it up before cooking, fits the rolls better than long narrow strips. this ones a newengland grey corned beef smoked into pastrami

·
  • I've made Canadian Bacon, regular Bacon and Corned Beef.
    Simi Valley, California
    ·
  • JRWhiteeJRWhitee Posts: 2,619
    Just got my slicer about a month ago or so and did turkey breast the taste was great but a little dry, will brine next time. I see pastrami in my future, thanks @doc_eggerton and @nola

Large BGE 2006, Mini Max 2014 
    Founding Member of the Green Man Group cooking team.
    Johns Creek, Georgia

·
    edited June 2013

@boileregger - Thanks for the compliment.  Here is the post - but I realized I didn't mention much in the way of method etc.  http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1150200/post-holiday-turkey-deal-fun#latest

After I boned out the turkey carcass I removed the breast from one half of the skin.  I pulled the sinew out of the tenders and stuck them on top of the breast on the skin.  Sprinkled the whole thing liberally with rub (I used High Mountain Steak Rub - but it is heavy on garlic so I knew it would work for turkey) and then put the other breast on top facing the other way to make a more even log shape.  Wrapped the skin remaining skin over top and tied it fairly tight in a log.

Cooked on the egg indirect at 350 to internal temp of 165.  Pulled and rested for 30 min. before putting in fridge to chill.  I have one more in the freezer - vacuum packed ready to cook.  When I do it I will remove the skin before slicing.  It just got in the way and I didn't want to eat it anyway, so it would be better removed.

Each roast is over 5 lbs raw - and so I paid about $1.50/lb for the meat.

Large BGE

·

I didn't deli slice it, but this is the most magnificant turkey I ever did.  This is a great recipie.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1139864/first-charcuterie-herb-turkey

Pasquali Luciano

·
  • AlbertaEggerAlbertaEgger Posts: 854

I do Turkey Breast, injected this one with a salad dressing, not sure why, but i did, and it was pretty good.

imageimageimage
    County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
    ·
  • fletcherfamfletcherfam Posts: 873

Thanks all for the advice. I have been thinking about picking up the Charcuterie book for a while, this might just push me over the edge on it. I would love to do smoked turkey, the wife loves  that stuff.

How do you guys like the slicers you own? I don't own one yet and have heard mixed reviews about them.

·
  • JRWhiteeJRWhitee Posts: 2,619
    My Chefs Choice 632 is perfect for how little I use it, once a month or so. Paid 300 from Williams sonoma.

Large BGE 2006, Mini Max 2014 
    Founding Member of the Green Man Group cooking team.
    Johns Creek, Georgia

·
    bought my ritter about 10 years ago for under a hundred on close out, use it about once a month and heavily on week or two every year. its worn out now, blades loose and the cut goes from thin to thick now, still works ok for me. thing is we all dont use them everyday and some might use it a couple times and into the closet, if i didnt have a camp with lots coming up to fish i would hardly ever use it, when its time to replace it though itll be another inexpensive one
    ·
  • AlbertaEggerAlbertaEgger Posts: 854
    Im not a big fan of mine, its good, i just dont like the slide on it. Im not sure the model number, its a cuisinart, you can see the name in the picture above.
    County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
    ·
    I LOVE my Nella 10".  Got it for my birthday - but I got to pick it so the specs on motor etc are great!

Large BGE

·
  • GrannyX4GrannyX4 Posts: 1,458
    Chef's choice 610. Perfect for what I do. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
    ·
  • Big RaguBig Ragu Posts: 146
    I get the prime sirloin at costco and always throw an extra on for slicing.  Little prepared horseradish and thin sliced onion and you are done. I have also done a slightly modified guy fieri baltomore bad boy recipe on the egg with sirloin then sliced thin. 
    ·
    edited June 2013
    @Big_Ragu - recipe please.... details

Large BGE

·