Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Seeking advice for doing pork butt on small

Options
CPARKTX
CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
Any tips or suggestions for doing a turbo butt on a Small? Time/temp?
LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  

Comments

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    I am doing one right now. 350 until 160 internal, wrap, cook to 200 internal. They are always great.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    @Hi54putty - how long does the total cook usually take? Do you FTC afterwards?
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    It's the same as a turbo butt on any other size as long as your butt fits.Good luck!

XLBGE 
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    Why is the temperature higher on the small vrs the large etc. I do butts on a large @ 280. Is it harder for the small to maintain lower temps? I want to do one on my small, now this has my questioning how to do it.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    I've done several butts on my small. I usually do them 250 dome and they average 10-12 hours for a 8-10 pound butt.

I also use a woo so I'm at the felt.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    I cook butts on my Small at the same temps that I use on my larger Eggs. As long as you load up the lump high (like at least 1/2 way up the fire ring), you should be able to complete the cook at any cook temp.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    If you go the turbo route, use a drip pan with an air gap. Foil at 160 -165.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.