Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

A very simplistic rib question

Planning on making a rack of ribs for Father's Day today ( along with some dry aged steaks I treated myself to!) Planning on trying the Good Sh!t rub @austinegghead gave me in the exchange on the ribs. Since I only have 1 rack I plan on doing them flat. My question is I usually always cut my full racks in half for ease of handling and fitting on the egg, but I don't ever see people do that here. Is there any reason not to do this?
·

Comments

• travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,851
    Nope. It's totally fine to cut them in half.

The o ly thing it screwed up is the bend test.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  • B&BKnoxB&BKnox Posts: 277
    +1 what Travis says.  I never cut in half (LBGE) but they will still cook fine if you do.
    Be Well

Knoxville TN
    ·
  • Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    I never cut mine, but i do foil the area directly over the platesetter's opening to prevent the rib ends for burning up.
    ·
  • pwg56pwg56 Posts: 92
    Here's the morning prep for the ribs...
    ·
  • jccbone62jccbone62 Posts: 195
    Lol.... I love the rub name. Simplistic in itself.
    XL owner in Wichita, KS
    ·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,709
    edited June 2013
    If cut in half the best finish indicator is to check the thickest part of the rib meat with a toothpick-no resistance in or out and you are there.  Enjoy!
    Louisville   L & S BGEs 
    ·
  • AcornAcorn Posts: 157
    I cut mine in half and load the rib rack up!!!! 4 hours later.......nothing but a pile of bones!!!
    Atlanta, GA  - LBGE -
    ·
  • pwg56pwg56 Posts: 92
    So to follow-up on the Father's Day cook.
    I did the ribs turbo style - 1 hour each side around 350 dome and they developed a nice bark and were almost done.  Then decided to foil them with some brown sugar and butter that I had read someone did in another one of the rib discussions on the forum this weekend. After about another 40 minutes pulled them - they were really good, I think my best ever so far.  The Good Sh!t rub gave it a very nice flavor.  Sorry no pics on the ribs, but I some of the other things I made:

Keeping hydrated:

Dry aged steaks - fantastic flavor - did a reverse sear on these to Medium Rare:

Then some cedar planked salmon brushed with olive oil and dizzy pig raging river. Fantastic.
    ·
  • TexanOfTheNorthTexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,610
    Salmon looks great.

Cedar planked 4 pieces myself last night. Used a light coat of Dijon mustard topped with light brown sugar. Turned out fantastic. Of course you really have to try to screw up cedar planked salmon.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.