Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A very simplistic rib question

Planning on making a rack of ribs for Father's Day today ( along with some dry aged steaks I treated myself to!) Planning on trying the Good Sh!t rub @austinegghead gave me in the exchange on the ribs. Since I only have 1 rack I plan on doing them flat. My question is I usually always cut my full racks in half for ease of handling and fitting on the egg, but I don't ever see people do that here. Is there any reason not to do this?

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Nope. It's totally fine to cut them in half.

The o ly thing it screwed up is the bend test.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • B&BKnox
    B&BKnox Posts: 283
    +1 what Travis says.  I never cut in half (LBGE) but they will still cook fine if you do.
    Be Well

Knoxville TN
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    I never cut mine, but i do foil the area directly over the platesetter's opening to prevent the rib ends for burning up.
  • pwg56
    pwg56 Posts: 93
    Here's the morning prep for the ribs...
  • jccbone62
    jccbone62 Posts: 248
    Lol.... I love the rub name. Simplistic in itself.
    XL owner in Wichita, KS
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    edited June 2013
    If cut in half the best finish indicator is to check the thickest part of the rib meat with a toothpick-no resistance in or out and you are there.  Enjoy!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Acorn
    Acorn Posts: 163
    I cut mine in half and load the rib rack up!!!! 4 hours later.......nothing but a pile of bones!!!
    Atlanta, GA  - LBGE -
  • pwg56
    pwg56 Posts: 93
    So to follow-up on the Father's Day cook.
    I did the ribs turbo style - 1 hour each side around 350 dome and they developed a nice bark and were almost done.  Then decided to foil them with some brown sugar and butter that I had read someone did in another one of the rib discussions on the forum this weekend. After about another 40 minutes pulled them - they were really good, I think my best ever so far.  The Good Sh!t rub gave it a very nice flavor.  Sorry no pics on the ribs, but I some of the other things I made:

Keeping hydrated:

Dry aged steaks - fantastic flavor - did a reverse sear on these to Medium Rare:

Then some cedar planked salmon brushed with olive oil and dizzy pig raging river. Fantastic.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Salmon looks great.

Cedar planked 4 pieces myself last night. Used a light coat of Dijon mustard topped with light brown sugar. Turned out fantastic. Of course you really have to try to screw up cedar planked salmon.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.