Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How old were YOU when you...

got your first egg of course.  Also, how long did you wait to get it?  I want your stories!
MBGE in Charleston

Comments

• bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    51 and took tens years seems my kids needed things more than i needed a egg at the time and now its what cooking on the egg's for dinner dad .
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    58/59 and had been told about it for about a year from my sister in law. Had enough air miles from American for a Small to be delivered to my door. The rest has been a fun ride friends.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Browninggold
    Browninggold Posts: 453
    Hey VI I'm 90 and still no egg...BUT as I'm sitting at your table in your courtyard ( the little round two chair table) and eating the Tequila worm you left in the bottle I'd swipe your egg but I'm too old to carry it :)
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    31, discovered the Egg in my mid twenties, my buddies and I lusted over them for a few years.  Then one of them got out of a bad relationship and rewarded himself with the Egg that his former significant other was denying him since it cost to much.

I cooked on that for a couple of years and loved it.  Then SWMBO had a accident and broke her ankle. My wonderful mother in law, knowing that the only way we would eat anything other then fast food during her rehab, purchased my first BGE for Christmas. I've been cooking ever since.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • JenGang
    JenGang Posts: 91

41, I've wanted one for a few year.  We decided last fall that we would buy one this year as a 20th Anniversary gift to ourselves. 

Jen

Lakeville, MN

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    39. I saw the forum and I bought one a week later. That was in march
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    49.  Saw one in my 20s and lusted. Waited 25 years.
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    47 wanted one for a while but didn't have time. Have had it a year and I make time.

There is a downside. Last year while at the beach a young lady approached me inquiring about the different color safety flag then asked if I was a lifeguard. This year while swimming they hoisted the double red and started screaming for everyone to get out of the water.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    57. Had known a couple folks who owned them but never had anything cooked on an Egg until traveling through Ohio. Ate at a public golf course. They had 4 Eggs going as I walked in. Had a smoked pork chop that was fantastic. Bought my large a week later. At 59 I'll be getting a Mini in the next couple weeks. Just got clearance from Mrs. TJ to add to the family. Just need a free weekend to get out to Tastylick's and see Fred.
    meat73 Posts: 140
    39 had seen them thought I didn't need one started reading about them decided someday then had surgery on my foot and started reading more went to the doctor for checkup not good told me no work for 4 more weeks so I went and bought the egg to keep from going crazy went back in 4 weeks 15 lbs bigger but damn its been fun
  • mb99zz
    mb99zz Posts: 183
    37 when I got her.  I had been wanting one for a couple of years and lurking around my local dealer long enough to outstay my welcome!  :)  
  • TurtleCreek
    TurtleCreek Posts: 140
    24, bought a kamado in the Pacific,1968, forget where Phillipines or Japan and drug it around on a destroyer for 4 months before it got back to Hawaii. I broke in a move in '71 and never got replaced until 2002.  Now have 4.
    Awesome!  
  • calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    48, Was looking up smoking a brisket, ran across a you tube video. Watched the guy prepare his brisket and when he took it outside he put in this odd looking grill. Rewatched the video a couple of times and got the name "Big Green Egg". Done some internet research and a couple of months later bought a large, and love it !
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • burr_baby33
    burr_baby33 Posts: 503
    72. My wife and I were in Alaska and took a a float plane trip over several glaciers and to a remote lodge for a king salmon dinner. The freshly caught salmon were cooked over an open pit with an alder wood fire. it was so good I told her from now on we are cooking with charcoal. I've been a gasser for 45 years and with a BGE dealer across the street from my office I just walked over and bought one. Then got another large for the lake house plus one each for son and soni in law.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    About a year and a half younger than I am now.  An suddenly I own three and cook most my meals on them.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• DMurf
    DMurf Posts: 481
    44, My wife decided that we needed a more permanent solution for our grilling needs and my daughter was heading off to college. Went into a local BGE dealer and sealed the deal had my EGG delivered the following week. What an eye opener, I had been grilling for so many years and calling it BBQ wow. This forum has been an inspiration and source of knowledge. I had never thought of the BGE before we got one, the money we have saved in not going out and replacing gas grills has more that paid for our investment.
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
  • Got my XL just this past April when I turned 35. I had been wanting one for at least a decade.
    St. Louis Barbeque Society certified competition judge

XL and MiniMax
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    I was 16 when my dad bought our first BGE. But technically I was 24 when I first got my own BGE.......wedding present.
  • CAT Seller
    CAT Seller Posts: 208
    I was 37. We had just moved and we built a new house in St. Augustine my wife got a new house, I got an egg.
    If it ain't a CAT, it's a dog!!! 2 LBGE's & BGE Backyard Chef Edition Cart
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    46 - had been a gasser and electric Brinkman smoker. Gas grill was on it's last legs (again) and a guy I worked with had gotten an egg. It was all I heard about daily, so decided to check it out. It was November and they had them on sale. Took a large home with us that day and never looked back. Trashed the gas grill and gave the Brinkman to my sister. Have you ever noticed how popular you become once you have an egg?
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255

I was 59 when I bought my first one but I immediately started growing younger as I used it. 

I'm telling you, the thing has magical powers.

Spring "Currently 45 In Egghead Years" Chicken

Spring Texas USA

• valleyboy
    valleyboy Posts: 22
    57. 3yrs ago today on Father's Day. Getting ready to pull brisket for family dinner.
  • Gamecockeggman
    Gamecockeggman Posts: 1,329
    35. My wife bought me the xl for christmas...lets just say that its the gift that keeps on giving!!!!
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817

42, 58 now

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,411
    51 (two years ago).
    Every spring on one Saturday my community sets up dumpsters where you can dump anything from your spring cleaning.  My decade-old electric water smoker was falling apart, so I threw it in the back of the truck along with some used motor oil I needed to get rid of.  Didn't know what smoker I'd get to replace it, but was eyeing the Weber Smoky Mountain.
    Tossed Betsy into the dumpster :(( then drove a couple more miles to the auto parts store to drop off the oil.  A new hardware store next door was having their grand opening, and they were also a new BGE dealer having demos out front, serving briskets, burgers and brownies.  I looked, I ate, I smelled, I walked around.
    I got in the truck and went home.
    I got on the 'net and did some research, I walked around some more, thought about it, got back in the truck and bought a Large.  Had my neighbor help me lift it out of the truck, we picked it up by the hinge, and the bottom bowl dropped out of the ring, onto the... tailgate!  No damage!  I-) (the hardware store assembly was not done very well).  
    Been a happy fan ever since.  

Scurvy:  when Life doesn't give you lemons

• frankc623
    frankc623 Posts: 168
    I was 29 when the in-laws got us(me) one for Christmas. Didn't know much about them before that. Now I can't imagine life without one!!
    L-BGE | Westminster, MD
  • BrotherEgg
    BrotherEgg Posts: 95
    Got mine 6 months after the 23rd anniversary of my 39th birthday. Been walking by them for years at my local dealer and then one day I asked the question that always gets me in trouble..."So, what's with that Big Green Egg (substitute car, boat, motorcycle, guitar, etc.)". Then I found out about this Forum and that sealed the deal. I was the proud owner of a great cooker and noob participant in a forum of a great group of people who could support to my life's goal of never acting my age :-)

_______________________________________________________________________________
    Large BGE, PSWoo3, 13"CI grid, Grid Extender, Weber Genesis B Gasser/BGE Storage Cabinet