Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

CGS 2 tier rack question

Options
EggHeadinFlorida
EggHeadinFlorida Posts: 892
edited June 2013 in EggHead Forum
Does anyone do steak sears on their CGS rack system? If so have you had any issues with the rack from the intense heat?
XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.

Comments

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    edited June 2013
    Options
    I've left mine in for 800+ degree clean burns and it works as good as the day I got it.  For steaks I use a cast iron grate on the spider and then finish on a raised factory stainless grid.  No reason I see you can't sear down low and then move up to finish.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    What BOWHUNR said. Hope I am the only one who has started a fire and forgot about it to come back to an inferno. My racks always stay in the Larges. No/never damage.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Mickey said:

What BOWHUNR said. Hope I am the only one who has started a fire and forgot about it to come back to an inferno. My racks always stay in the Larges. No/never damage.

Just did that for the first time last week. Also the first time I've spun the thermometer; came out, saw the thermometer at 225 or so and wondered WTF. Opened the dome and saw the lump glowing orange!

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• EggHeadinFlorida
    EggHeadinFlorida Posts: 892
    edited June 2013
    Options
    The reason why I asked the above question is because I had a issue with my 24" grate. I seared some steaks last week at about 650deg. The lower rack bent downward and almost took the shape of a bowl. (yes, it was that bad)  thinking it would spring back after it cooled down, but it never did. I called CGW and spoke with Franco and sent him some pics as well as explained what happened to him. Very Very nice guy to deal with. With out hesitation, he is sending me out a new lower grate and I will mail back mine in his box. BAM! Thats customer service..
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    Here are the pics
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Are we talking about CGS (Ceramic Grill Store) or CGW (Ceramic Grill Works)??  By the looks of your photos it's a CGW, and yes, in a high temp burn your seasoning is gone and the rust will set in quickly there after, which is always a pain in the ass.  I also never liked the thick unsightly grill marks and the way bark sticks to the wide bars during slow and slows. 

I quit using my CGW's and recently sold one of two I owned and am looking to unload the other one.  I'm a stainless CGS guy all the way.  None of the above listed problems with CGS stainless steel.  Not trying to bang on CGW, just giving you an honest review from a guy that burns a lot of lump.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    it was CGW, sorry...  
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited June 2013
    Options
    All bets are off. I can only say about Ceramic Grill Store. Nice catch Mike.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.