Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A tale of two breads

Options
CPARKTX
CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
I made a double loaf batch of same day white bread using the recipe from Flour Water Salt Yeast. Divided the dough and cooked one in a Dutch oven in the oven per the recipe, cooked the other on pizza stone in egg at same temperature. Both turned out well but very different. The one cooked in the Dutch oven had a much better crust. Next time I do one in the egg I'll ramp up the temperature a little higher. I may have also not let the heat absorption build up enough. Both taste great.
LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  

Comments

• egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    Options
    I could smell them baking in Round Rock. They look great.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options

Looks very nice.

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Gap between stone and ps? I want to try baking some bread.
    Seattle, WA
  • chris123stock
    Options
    I find that for a good crust on the egg try putting a tray of water on the platesetter, legs up of course, then put an aluminum tray over the dough for the first half of the cook, then take it off, and temp wise I stay with the recommended for tha t bread. Just my 2 cents.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Both look good to me. I would love to try baking in the egg.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    @SkinnyV I used the same setup I use for pizza tonight: PS legs up, standard grid, fire bricks flat side down, second grid, pizza stone. Thanks @Chris123Stock I'll try that next time.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    @CPARKTX, that's "spooky"... I did exactly the same thing yesterday with 2 sourdough loaves! I had similar results to you in that the oven baked loaf had a much browner crust than the one cooked on the egg. Both tasted very good and had similar textures otherwise.

One other interesting note... I used my pampered chef baking stone for both. Oven temp was 375 and I had the stone in while preheating. I also had a CI skillet on the lower oven rack during preheat. I put the bread on the stone and added some water to the skillet and baked for about 45 minutes until the internal bread temp was around 200-205. When I took the baked bread off the stone I noticed that it had split in half. Not sure why that happened unless it was the moisture from the steam. I've had the same stone in the egg at well over 500 several times.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    @cparktx I did forget to mention that the top foil pan, you need to have some of it over the opening so steam will go into it.
      @TexanOfTheNorth I use steam all the time, I have heard that the pampered chef ones crack all the time. Now you got me wondering if the steam is bad? I do read that even in the oven people use a stone and steam in it? Weird. 
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    @chris123stock... don't know how I overlooked your post on this thread... I'm going to try your water/steam idea next time a bake a loaf of bread on my egg.

I've also read that the pampered chef stones do crack... anyone got any recommendations re: a better option?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    @TexanoftheNorth - interesting that our results matched.  I notice that I was cooking a lot higher than you were...475 vs 375.  On the loaf you did in the oven, did you do that on a stone or in a dutch oven?  What bread recipe did you use? 
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    @cparktx... I used this sourdough recipe. I used my stone (which actually broke on this use) in both the oven and the egg. My starter is only about 3 or 4 weeks old but both loaves had a wonderful sourdough taste.
    Options
    When you cook bread do not exceed 450 degrees.  Not necessary for good loaf of bread.  The loaves you see in pics were done at 450 for about 30-35 minutes.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!