Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Can this be? (fast brisket)

12-13 pound full brisket.  On for 3.5 hours.  Grate temps running from 220 to 270 (unreliable dome says lower).  Internal is 169.  wth?  I need this to go another 12 hours!
·

Comments

• QDudeQDude Posts: 605
    I did a 17 pounder last weekend at 275 that only took 7 hours!  I don't know how it could possibly have been done that soon, but it was probe tender and delicious!

A northern Colorado Egghead since 2012!

XL and a Small BGE.

·
    I did a 17 pounder last weekend at 275 that only took 7 hours!  I don't know how it could possibly have been done that soon, but it was probe tender and delicious!

XL and a Small BGE.

·
  • batboybatboy Posts: 26
    QDude, I so did not want to hear that.
    ·
    It was a mystery how it could finish that quick.  If your's gets done early, foil it, wrap it in a towel, and put it in a cooler.  It will stay hot for a long time.

XL and a Small BGE.

·
  • cazzycazzy Posts: 7,914
    batboy said:

12-13 pound full brisket.  On for 3.5 hours.  Grate temps running from 220 to 270 (unreliable dome says lower).  Internal is 169.  wth?  I need this to go another 12 hours!

That's pretty quick, but you'll still likely hit the stall pretty good.

How long has it been since you calibrated your dome thermo? What are you using to monitor grate temp? Do you have a thermapen?

Join the 2015 Rub & Sauce Exchange!  Find out more information here:
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1182005/2015-egghead-rub-sauce-exchange/p1

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ...
    ·
  • BOWHUNRBOWHUNR Posts: 1,447
    No way.  Something has to be out of calibration.

Mkie

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
    ·
  • batboybatboy Posts: 26
    Hit a solid stall around 170 not long after I started this thread.  Problem is that it's 12.5 hours in and temp is 195-200 throughout.  Probing like butter everywhere but the thickest, centermost flat.  I can maybe push it another hour, but think this baby is going to be done in well under 1.5hr/lb.  Temps were 225-260 for the majority using a Maverick 732 at grate, crappy analog in dome, and thermapen for meat.  Not supposed to slice and eat for over 8 HOURS!!!!!!!!!!
    ·
  • travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,818
    All is well. I just took off two 15lbers.

I cooked them at 275 grate temp and it only took 10 hours for one and 11 for the other.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,416
    30 lbs of brisket?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • Same here, cooked a 15lb that i was expecting to take a lot longer finish in 11 hours. Temp stayed around 275 grate.
    Wiggins, MS
    ·
  • travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,818
    henapple said:
    30 lbs of brisket?
    Ya mon. It's FTC right now. It looked as good as any ive made so far. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  • cazzycazzy Posts: 7,914

henapple said:

30 lbs of brisket?

Ya mon. It's FTC right now. It looked as good as any ive made so far. 

I'm sure the CAB helped with that!
    Join the 2015 Rub & Sauce Exchange!  Find out more information here:
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1182005/2015-egghead-rub-sauce-exchange/p1

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ...
    ·