Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can this be? (fast brisket)

12-13 pound full brisket.  On for 3.5 hours.  Grate temps running from 220 to 270 (unreliable dome says lower).  Internal is 169.  wth?  I need this to go another 12 hours!

Comments

• QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    I did a 17 pounder last weekend at 275 that only took 7 hours!  I don't know how it could possibly have been done that soon, but it was probe tender and delicious!

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• QDude
    I did a 17 pounder last weekend at 275 that only took 7 hours!  I don't know how it could possibly have been done that soon, but it was probe tender and delicious!

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• batboy
    batboy Posts: 26
    QDude, I so did not want to hear that.
  • QDude
    It was a mystery how it could finish that quick.  If your's gets done early, foil it, wrap it in a towel, and put it in a cooler.  It will stay hot for a long time.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    batboy said:

12-13 pound full brisket.  On for 3.5 hours.  Grate temps running from 220 to 270 (unreliable dome says lower).  Internal is 169.  wth?  I need this to go another 12 hours!

That's pretty quick, but you'll still likely hit the stall pretty good.

How long has it been since you calibrated your dome thermo? What are you using to monitor grate temp? Do you have a thermapen?

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    No way.  Something has to be out of calibration.

Mkie

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • batboy
    batboy Posts: 26
    Hit a solid stall around 170 not long after I started this thread.  Problem is that it's 12.5 hours in and temp is 195-200 throughout.  Probing like butter everywhere but the thickest, centermost flat.  I can maybe push it another hour, but think this baby is going to be done in well under 1.5hr/lb.  Temps were 225-260 for the majority using a Maverick 732 at grate, crappy analog in dome, and thermapen for meat.  Not supposed to slice and eat for over 8 HOURS!!!!!!!!!!
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    All is well. I just took off two 15lbers.

I cooked them at 275 grate temp and it only took 10 hours for one and 11 for the other.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    30 lbs of brisket?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Same here, cooked a 15lb that i was expecting to take a lot longer finish in 11 hours. Temp stayed around 275 grate.
    Wiggins, MS
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    henapple said:
    30 lbs of brisket?
    Ya mon. It's FTC right now. It looked as good as any ive made so far. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136

henapple said:

30 lbs of brisket?

Ya mon. It's FTC right now. It looked as good as any ive made so far. 

I'm sure the CAB helped with that!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....