Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Eeeeeeeggggin' in the rain...

Raining pretty consistently here in the DC Metro area, but that didn't stop us from getting a fire going:

Spatchcock chicken, with butter under the skin of the breasts and rubbed with DP Tsunami spin:

Served with a soy-ginger-garlic dipping sauce, rice, and spicy Szechuan green beans:

It was enough to make us go:

[Northern] Virginia is for [meat] lovers.
·

Comments

• SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 6,890
    Dayum dude...what a plate! Nice job with the Asian theme!

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·
  • _BR__BR_ Posts: 42
    Just scored some Tsunami Spin today and 2 chickens. Doing this tomorrow. Thanks!

·
  • @SmokeyPitt - thanks!  I love cooking Asian food or with Asian elements.

Also, here's the green bean recipe, in case anyone wants it (I recommend stirring in a healthy grind of Szechuan peppercorns right before taking it off the heat so you get the characteristic ma la numbing effect):

·
  • frankc623frankc623 Posts: 163
    Nice looking cook!
    L-BGE | Westminster, MD
    ·
  • GA_DawgsGA_Dawgs Posts: 273
    Looks good, way to power through the weather!
    ·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 7,063
    Superb! Thanks for the beans recipe. how about the sauce? :) 

I love Szechuan peppercorns. The ma la tingle is great. There is a restaurant in Chinatown here that specializes in the ma la flavor and is one of our favs.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • jccbone62jccbone62 Posts: 195
    Very nice cook. The green beans look amazing
    XL owner in Wichita, KS
    ·
  • shtgunal3shtgunal3 Posts: 2,902
    Those beans and rice look awesome! Good job on the yard bird too.

LBGE,SBGE, and a mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

·
  • Thanks, everyone!

@caliking - the sauce recipe is:

1/2 cup tamari (you can use regular soy sauce if you don't have tamari on hand)
    1/2 cup rice vinegar
    2 Tbsp. garlic, minced
    2 Tbsp. ginger, minced
    2 Tbsp. honey
    2 tsp. sesame oil
    2 tsp. sesame seeds

Combine by whisking thoroughly, or just hit it with the immersion blender for a few seconds. 

·
  • Village IdiotVillage Idiot Posts: 6,951
    Great looking plate.  Nice job !!!

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

·
  • TexanOfTheNorthTexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,610
    Butter under the skin sounds good. Try some lime slices sometime for a little different twist.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Everything looks great, That sauce sounds great, I'm trying that
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
    ·
  • JamieoroJamieoro Posts: 180
    Niiiice. I want to make that sauce... And green beans.... And now I want to make a spatchcock...
    ·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 7,063

Thanks for the recipes.

I see you left your maverick out in the rain. Are they waterproof? I have the older one without the external antenna (I added one though), but have always wondered about leaving it outside.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • @caliking:  as I understand it, the older model (ET-73) is NOT waterproof.  The ET-732, which I have, is waterproof as to precipitation (e.g., buttons are raised membranes so no food/water can enter the housing), although I wouldn't submerge it in liquid.

I used the comparison that @jfm0830 has on his site when I was researching, and found it helpful:  http://blog.grillinsmokin.net/blog_main/blog/files/maverick_et732.php

·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,982
    Rain don't stop no BGE and apparently it don't stop you, neither. good looking yard bird.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
  • jfm0830jfm0830 Posts: 968
    edited June 2013
    @caliking The out of the box model ET-73 had a waterproof base station/transmitter. The receiver that you bring indoors into the house is NOT waterproof. Having said that: I have no idea what the antenna mods you made have done to the waterproof capabilities of the base station unit.

I used to use my ET-72, which is a two probe grill thermometer that was not waterproof, outside in the rain and snow all the time. You can use a one gallon zip lock bag to keep it out of the rain. Put the open side down and zip it up so the wires just can pass through the remaining opening. I eventually switched to a small tupperware type lidded storage container. I made a small hole on the side about 1/2" up from the base to pass the wires through. 

Jim 
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
    ·