Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eeeeeeeggggin' in the rain...

Options
Raining pretty consistently here in the DC Metro area, but that didn't stop us from getting a fire going:

Spatchcock chicken, with butter under the skin of the breasts and rubbed with DP Tsunami spin:

Served with a soy-ginger-garlic dipping sauce, rice, and spicy Szechuan green beans:

It was enough to make us go:

[Northern] Virginia is for [meat] lovers.

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Dayum dude...what a plate! Nice job with the Asian theme!

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• _BR_
    _BR_ Posts: 42
    Options
    Just scored some Tsunami Spin today and 2 chickens. Doing this tomorrow. Thanks!
  • SaturdayFatterday
    Options
    @SmokeyPitt - thanks!  I love cooking Asian food or with Asian elements.

Also, here's the green bean recipe, in case anyone wants it (I recommend stirring in a healthy grind of Szechuan peppercorns right before taking it off the heat so you get the characteristic ma la numbing effect):

• frankc623
    frankc623 Posts: 168
    Options
    Nice looking cook!
    L-BGE | Westminster, MD
  • GA_Dawgs
    GA_Dawgs Posts: 273
    Options
    Looks good, way to power through the weather!
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Superb! Thanks for the beans recipe. how about the sauce? :) 

I love Szechuan peppercorns. The ma la tingle is great. There is a restaurant in Chinatown here that specializes in the ma la flavor and is one of our favs.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • jccbone62
    jccbone62 Posts: 248
    Options
    Very nice cook. The green beans look amazing
    XL owner in Wichita, KS
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    Those beans and rice look awesome! Good job on the yard bird too.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• SaturdayFatterday
    Options
    Thanks, everyone!

@caliking - the sauce recipe is:

1/2 cup tamari (you can use regular soy sauce if you don't have tamari on hand)
    1/2 cup rice vinegar
    2 Tbsp. garlic, minced
    2 Tbsp. ginger, minced
    2 Tbsp. honey
    2 tsp. sesame oil
    2 tsp. sesame seeds

Combine by whisking thoroughly, or just hit it with the immersion blender for a few seconds. 

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    Great looking plate.  Nice job !!!

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Butter under the skin sounds good. Try some lime slices sometime for a little different twist.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Everything looks great, That sauce sounds great, I'm trying that
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Jamieoro
    Jamieoro Posts: 180
    Options
    Niiiice. I want to make that sauce... And green beans.... And now I want to make a spatchcock...
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

Thanks for the recipes.

I see you left your maverick out in the rain. Are they waterproof? I have the older one without the external antenna (I added one though), but have always wondered about leaving it outside.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SaturdayFatterday
    Options
    @caliking:  as I understand it, the older model (ET-73) is NOT waterproof.  The ET-732, which I have, is waterproof as to precipitation (e.g., buttons are raised membranes so no food/water can enter the housing), although I wouldn't submerge it in liquid.

I used the comparison that @jfm0830 has on his site when I was researching, and found it helpful:  http://blog.grillinsmokin.net/blog_main/blog/files/maverick_et732.php

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Rain don't stop no BGE and apparently it don't stop you, neither. good looking yard bird.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    edited June 2013
    Options
    @caliking The out of the box model ET-73 had a waterproof base station/transmitter. The receiver that you bring indoors into the house is NOT waterproof. Having said that: I have no idea what the antenna mods you made have done to the waterproof capabilities of the base station unit.

I used to use my ET-72, which is a two probe grill thermometer that was not waterproof, outside in the rain and snow all the time. You can use a one gallon zip lock bag to keep it out of the rain. Put the open side down and zip it up so the wires just can pass through the remaining opening. I eventually switched to a small tupperware type lidded storage container. I made a small hole on the side about 1/2" up from the base to pass the wires through. 

Jim 
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.