Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Get ready to turn up the heat as we dive into August. While there are only a few weeks left to perfect those tailgate recipes, summer isn’t over yet! Two things we’ll be making this month are Chile Rubbed Grilled Pork Chops and Bell Pepper Kabobs. Then, relax after a cookout with a cool dessert cooked on your EGG - Ice Cream Sandwiches! You can mix and match your favorite cookie flavors with ice cream flavors. Simple, yet delicious!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Shrimp Tempura and Chinese BBQ Ribs

I've been trying for 10 years to get a flaky tempura.  Finally, tonight, I got close.  Still got a ways to go, but I'm sniffing on the scent.

This was a fusion dinner.  Chinese BBQ ribs and Japanese Tempura.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
Just west of Austintatious

Comments

• travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,851
    I really appreciate the carrot. Very nice touch. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • NDGNDG Posts: 1,240
    You are unreal. Looks great, cant wait to go back to some Asian flavors again myself . . 
    Columbus, Ohio
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,714
    edited June 2013

Another professional tease amongst us amateurs.  Outstanding!  And the menu for Weds is....

Louisville   L & S BGEs 
  • finsterfinster Posts: 133
    Stunning.
    MBGE in Charleston

• MrossMross Posts: 335
    Wow!
    Duncan, SC
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,473
    This hurts me to say: very nice food as well as the photography. I am with Travis on the carrot and if you ever invite me I want more than 3 shrimp.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

• CPARKTXCPARKTX Posts: 1,073
    Wow! Amazing plating. How did you cook the tempura?
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 7,064
    uh-may-zing! Those ribs look mighty fine.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • shtgunal3shtgunal3 Posts: 2,902
    Looks like a cook book pic. Nice job!

LBGE,SBGE, and a mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• ChubbsChubbs Posts: 5,471
    The only thing SWMBO looks at on this forum is when I show off your cooks. Sometimes I pretend they are mine. Beeuuteeful as always and +4 on the carrot.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • MrossMross Posts: 335
    Does the carrot make it healthy?
    Duncan, SC
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,352

Isn't tempura just mineral water and cornstarch?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• BustersdadBustersdad Posts: 246
    Looks fabulous.
  • LowflyerLowflyer Posts: 766
    Looks great as always.
  • BOWHUNRBOWHUNR Posts: 1,471
    Outstanding as usual VI!!  Your plating skills are professional class.  ^:)^

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Austin  EggheadAustin Egghead Posts: 3,347
    Looks good enough to eat :P  Have fork will travel
    Eggin in SW "Keep it Weird" TX
  • cazzycazzy Posts: 8,255
    edited June 2013
    Wow Gary, beautiful food and beautiful table setting. Every detail in your photo was thought out. Appreciate your efforts.

I've decided, when I'm older, I want to be like you. Outside of the whole creepy man on a motorcycle thing. :P
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
    cazzy said:
    Wow Gary, beautiful food and beautiful table setting. Every detail in your photo was thought out. Appreciate your efforts. I've decided, when I'm older, I want to be like you. Outside of the whole creepy man on a motorcycle thing. :P

Cazz what are your thoughts on the carrot placement that Travis pointed out?
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

Mickey said:

cazzy said:

Wow Gary, beautiful food and beautiful table setting. Every detail in your photo was thought out. Appreciate your efforts.

I've decided, when I'm older, I want to be like you. Outside of the whole creepy man on a motorcycle thing. :P

Cazz what are your thoughts on the carrot placement that Travis pointed out?

I think he was calling you out and basically saying you're a Zero. He knew Travis would point it out for you. This Gary guy is very clever. He always has a plan!
    edited June 2013
    Gary, what lens did you use for the 2nd picture?
    VI is tricky tricky. He number one cook but oh so tricky.

• I seem to recall he characterizes himself as a kitchen beeotch and his wife is the brains and creative one. Maybe she takes the pictures too? Or maybe she sets it up so he can push the shutter button and feel a real sense of creative accomplishment?

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

• LowflyerLowflyer Posts: 766
    Did I miss something, did VI tell us how it tasted???
  • Lowflyer said:
    Did I miss something, did VI tell us how it tasted???
    He doesn't have to.  You're supposed to assume it tastes as good as it looks.

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

• Z_EggineerZ_Eggineer Posts: 568
    Looks better than most tempura I have had!

How longs do ribs take to cook as single units?  What sort of tenderness did they possess?

What would cuisine be without fusion?
  • Village IdiotVillage Idiot Posts: 6,951
    edited June 2013
    Thanks folks !!!!!

@CParkTX The trick on the tempura is to dust it in flour, then in batter, and put it in the fryer.  Then drizzle batter on the shrimp as it is frying.

@Fred19Flintstone Yes, Pam wakes me from being passed out on the floor and tells me supper is ready and plated.  I stumble into the dining room, she hands me the camera, and I snap the picture.

@MRoss Yes, because of the carrot, the American Heart Assoc. has given the meal it's coveted Seal of Approval.  Also, I'm in negotiations with Nutrisystem for the recipes.

@Cazzy The lens I used is the Nikkor AF-S 24-85mm 1:3.5 - 4.5 G.  The camera is a Nikon D600.

@Lowflyer and @Fred19Flintstone It tasted like crap.  The dogs wouldn't even eat it.

@Z_Engineer I think the ribs took about 45 minutes to an hour @ 300F.  I'm sure a low and slow cook would have produced much more tender ribs, but I think you're after that funky Asian taste with Chinese BBQ ribs, not tenderness so much.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• bbqlearnerbbqlearner Posts: 739
    Outstanding cook VI! =D>

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• GriffinGriffin Posts: 7,002
    Outstanding and very clever responses. =D>

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings