Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Shrimp Tempura and Chinese BBQ Ribs

Options
I've been trying for 10 years to get a flaky tempura.  Finally, tonight, I got close.  Still got a ways to go, but I'm sniffing on the scent.

This was a fusion dinner.  Chinese BBQ ribs and Japanese Tempura.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
Just west of Austintatious

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    I really appreciate the carrot. Very nice touch. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    You are unreal. Looks great, cant wait to go back to some Asian flavors again myself . . 
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,330
    edited June 2013
    Options

Another professional tease amongst us amateurs.  Outstanding!  And the menu for Weds is....

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • finster
    finster Posts: 136
    Options
    Stunning.
    MBGE in Charleston

• Mross
    Mross Posts: 338
    Options
    Wow!
    Duncan, SC
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    This hurts me to say: very nice food as well as the photography. I am with Travis on the carrot and if you ever invite me I want more than 3 shrimp.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    Wow! Amazing plating. How did you cook the tempura?
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    uh-may-zing! Those ribs look mighty fine.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    Looks like a cook book pic. Nice job!

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    The only thing SWMBO looks at on this forum is when I show off your cooks. Sometimes I pretend they are mine. Beeuuteeful as always and +4 on the carrot.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Mross
    Mross Posts: 338
    Options
    Does the carrot make it healthy?
    Duncan, SC
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options

Isn't tempura just mineral water and cornstarch?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Bustersdad
    Bustersdad Posts: 311
    Options
    Looks fabulous.
  • Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    Options
    Looks great as always.
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    Outstanding as usual VI!!  Your plating skills are professional class.  ^:)^

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    Looks good enough to eat :P  Have fork will travel
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Wow Gary, beautiful food and beautiful table setting. Every detail in your photo was thought out. Appreciate your efforts.

I've decided, when I'm older, I want to be like you. Outside of the whole creepy man on a motorcycle thing. :P
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Mickey
    Options
    cazzy said:
    Wow Gary, beautiful food and beautiful table setting. Every detail in your photo was thought out. Appreciate your efforts. I've decided, when I'm older, I want to be like you. Outside of the whole creepy man on a motorcycle thing. :P

Cazz what are your thoughts on the carrot placement that Travis pointed out?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• cazzy
    Options
    Mickey said:

cazzy said:

Wow Gary, beautiful food and beautiful table setting. Every detail in your photo was thought out. Appreciate your efforts.

I've decided, when I'm older, I want to be like you. Outside of the whole creepy man on a motorcycle thing. :P

Cazz what are your thoughts on the carrot placement that Travis pointed out?

I think he was calling you out and basically saying you're a Zero. He knew Travis would point it out for you. This Gary guy is very clever. He always has a plan!
  • cazzy
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Gary, what lens did you use for the 2nd picture?
  • Mickey
    Options
    VI is tricky tricky. He number one cook but oh so tricky.

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I seem to recall he characterizes himself as a kitchen beeotch and his wife is the brains and creative one. Maybe she takes the pictures too? Or maybe she sets it up so he can push the shutter button and feel a real sense of creative accomplishment?
    Flint, Michigan
  • Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    Options
    Did I miss something, did VI tell us how it tasted???
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Lowflyer said:
    Did I miss something, did VI tell us how it tasted???
    He doesn't have to.  You're supposed to assume it tastes as good as it looks.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Z_Eggineer
    Z_Eggineer Posts: 576
    Options
    Looks better than most tempura I have had!

How longs do ribs take to cook as single units?  What sort of tenderness did they possess?

What would cuisine be without fusion?
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Thanks folks !!!!!

@CParkTX The trick on the tempura is to dust it in flour, then in batter, and put it in the fryer.  Then drizzle batter on the shrimp as it is frying.

@Fred19Flintstone Yes, Pam wakes me from being passed out on the floor and tells me supper is ready and plated.  I stumble into the dining room, she hands me the camera, and I snap the picture.

@MRoss Yes, because of the carrot, the American Heart Assoc. has given the meal it's coveted Seal of Approval.  Also, I'm in negotiations with Nutrisystem for the recipes.

@Cazzy The lens I used is the Nikkor AF-S 24-85mm 1:3.5 - 4.5 G.  The camera is a Nikon D600.

@Lowflyer and @Fred19Flintstone It tasted like crap.  The dogs wouldn't even eat it.

@Z_Engineer I think the ribs took about 45 minutes to an hour @ 300F.  I'm sure a low and slow cook would have produced much more tender ribs, but I think you're after that funky Asian taste with Chinese BBQ ribs, not tenderness so much.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    Options
    Outstanding cook VI! =D>

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Outstanding and very clever responses. =D>

Rowlett, Texas