Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BEST BUTT EVER!!

Options
So.....I'm notoriously bad at posting pictures - and, that's even after I know if there ain't no pictures, it never happened!  But, we've all seen enough pic's of butts, yeah?!

But, I wanted to share the approach (even though it wasn't an original) because it was - by a long shot - the best butt I've ever done.  And, again, nothing original - just had great results so wanted to share it with other folks that may not have done it this way (yet!)

This was a very small butt - 5 or 6 pounds...smallest I've ever done - that was cut-down off the original and then tied-up nice-n-tight.  I gave it a good bit of Kansas City Sweet BBQ rub and injected it with Chris Lilly's injection the night before (again - normally I inject just before putting onto the grid.)

I had the butt on a rack over a drip pan (sitting on the grid resting on the PS, legs-up) with about 1 cup of apple cider + 1 cup of apple vinegar + 1 cup of water and threw it on my LBGE (that was settled-in at 220 degrees grid temp) at 11:30pm.  The next morning the egg was sitting - rock solid - at 219 degrees and the butt at 156 degrees.

With only a 6 pounder, I thought I'd be done somewhere around 9am.   ...instead, I sat in the stall - between 156 - 160 degrees, until 2pm (14 1/2 hrs) when I started getting nervous about making 4pm dinner.  I bumped the egg to about 350 to try and push through the stall.  (...until that time, the apple cider/apple vinegar/water in the pan was still liquid - and, looking incredibly good!)   Finally around 3pm (15 1/2 hours) the internal temp was only 181 degrees.  ...unfortunately, we had after dinner plans and I had no choice but to pull the butt and roll the dice!   :)
I pulled the butt at 181 degrees and wrapped it for only 45-min.  During that time, the temp increased to 189 degrees.

I was afraid that the 5-6 pounds would be far too small - then, I was afraid that the nearly 16 hours on the heat was going to make it leather.  Instead,
it was the juiciest, most flavorful butt we've ever had!!  ...by a long, long ways, too!

Maybe just dumb luck....but, I'm going to try the exact same set-up again and see how it goes.  In the meantime, I'm going to chalk it up to great skill!  And, if you haven't tried
Chris Lilly's injection, I highly recommend it!!

Comments