Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re feeling pretty super, how about you? The big game is fast approaching, and while we love football, we love an excuse to invite people over and cook even more! You too can cook like a champion with recipes from Dr. BBQ’s NFL Gameday Cookbook: Grilled Tuna Sandwiches from Seattle and Baked Brie from New England. Who’s going to win? You’ll have to cook both to find out.

The 17th Annual EGGtoberfest was amazing - here are the highlights Click Here

Finally did a brisket

LDRLDR Posts: 176

All my cooks had been fairly short before this attempt.  I had a 5.5# CAB choice flat from Edwards. The rub was 2 parts coarse black pepper, 2 parts kosher salt, and 1 part granulated garlic.  I used Ozark Oak mixed with four good sized hickory chunks on an LBGE.  Platesetter was legs up and had a drip pan with some apple juice.

Time and grate/meat temps were
8:15     255   61 (start)
9:15     264 133
10:15   259 156
11:15   270 163
12:15   268 171
1:15     262 172
2:15     257 178
3:15     261 194
4:30     270 203
pulled to FTC at 4:30 and sliced at 5:45

It came out alright, and pretty moist, but seemed a bit salty.  However, it disappeared quickly.  I'll have to hunt down some Byron's for the next one. I also think I'd pull it a few degrees sooner next time.

I also got a chance to use my new FoodSaver v3820.  It worked very well.

·

Comments

• hapsterhapster Posts: 6,017
    Well played for a first briske...
    ·
  • ScottborasjrScottborasjr Posts: 2,054
    Good looking first flat.  I know Byron's get's a lot of publicity but before you go and put it on a big 30 to 100 dollar piece of meat throw it on a burger or a chicken breast.  There's a bunch that like it straight up, there is also a good amount of people that "cut" the Byron's with some turbinado sugar. Just my .02 cents.

Brisket is the toughest meat to get right, it will probably take you a few before you are actually completely satisfied with your results.  I'm still working on mine. And I've done 3 or 4 flats and 2 packers.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
    ·
  • n2wdwn2wdw Posts: 47
    Looks great.  how did you measure the grate temp?
    ·
  • LDRLDR Posts: 176
    I've got a Maverick thermometer. In the third image, you can see where the probe was (upper left corner of it).
    ·
  • Cool JazzCool Jazz Posts: 9
    Looks great. I did my first brisket 3 weeks ago and over cooked it a little. Turned out more like shredded beef than sliced brisket. Yours looks perfect. Good job.
    ·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 5,685
    Great result-congrats!  You set a prtetty high bar for the next one-always a fun and challenging cook.
    Louisville
    ·
  • LDRLDR Posts: 176

Thanks all - I'm happier with it today as I have it for lunch.  I just realized I'm cutting through the slices with a flimsy cheap plastic fork.

·
  • looks great to me. 

·