Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re halfway through National Barbecue Month and loving every minute of it. We hope you’ve had some time to try out some new recipes and enjoy a few old favorites as well. If you’d a couple tips on smoking meat, check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Have a great rest of May & get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

How do you get the black off the composite shelves

Just joined and Hatched my LBGE last month. Was wondering if anyone knows the best way to clean my composite shelves, since they already have black coloured stripes on them from setting my ash tool down and wiping with a towel. Seems a shame since they used to look so nice before.
Brampton, Ontario

·

Comments

• TSP works pretty good. my egg caught fire and was all black and nasty. Cleaned up good as new with TSP

·
  • BigWaderBigWader Posts: 587
    Simple Green or Green Machine works for me like a charm....

Large BGE

·
  • ReldtiCDNReldtiCDN Posts: 142
    edited May 2013
    Is TSP safe for the plastic?
    Don't want to damage them.

Brampton, Ontario

·
  • ReldtiCDN said:
    Is TSP safe for the plastic?
    Don't want to damage them.

yes but read the label first. Simple green is a great degreaser and you don't have to mix. 

·
  • Haws72688Haws72688 Posts: 40
    I was having this same issue for a while.  I've been using barkeepers friend on them with excellent results.  No corrosion from it for me thus far.
    Grand Rapids, MI
    ·
  • skellis614skellis614 Posts: 63
    Try Dawn Power Dissolver. Works great!
    LBGE, Burgeoning Accessories
    ·
  • RACRAC Posts: 1,351
    409 works great

Ricky

Spring, TX

·
  • DIXIEDOGDIXIEDOG Posts: 109
    Another vote for Simple Green....the stuff works great for cleaning your composite shelves.

·
  • Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Take them off and bring them to a sheet metal shop and have them covered with stainless steel.
    ·
  • TonyATonyA Posts: 564
    They are pretty durable. I've used soft scrub. Is simple green the all natural cleaner that smells like oranges? That does work too.
    ·
  • TonyATonyA Posts: 564
    Citrusafe
    ·
    Thanks for the suggestions I'll try a few to see which works best.

Brampton, Ontario

·
  • Fred19FlintstoneFred19Flintstone Posts: 5,311
    Simple Green for me and it works great.

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

·
  • StevStev Posts: 36

I  used oven cleaner which worked pretty good. This time I let it go a little too long and the results were poor. I used electric parts cleaner and rinsed it with bleach and cold water and it looks brand new.

·
  • StevStev Posts: 36
    sry about the two posts but I had to work to get this picture up for whatever reason
    ·
  • Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    This is how i solved my grease problems on my shelves.Couple pieces of stailess steel and some stainless nut,screws and grommets.  Clean anything with one swipe of a paper towel.
    ·
    Used the simple green I had some in the cupboard and they are like new , the light gray colour is back.
    Thanks all for the tips.
    Brampton, Ontario

·