Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini Comes Home(Pic's)

dougbacker
dougbacker Posts: 277
edited May 2013 in EggHead Forum
Virgin Mini, Mini first cook and Mini comes home after a weekend of camping.
Have been having a blast with the Mini, Whata work horse
Mickey (Mr. Mini)
Plate setter or what?
what do you all recommend for accessories? 

--------------------------------------------------------
South Dakota
KBØQBT
Large BGE, 
Mini BGE
36" Blackstone Griddle
Phoenix Gasser
Cyber Q WIFI

And a deck box full of toy's

Comments

• GA_Dawgs
    GA_Dawgs Posts: 273
    Time to update your signature :-bd . Steaks look good!
  • dougbacker
    GA_Dawgs Op's I did but me forgot to save it LOL...Is this gooder?

South Dakota
    KBØQBT
    Large BGE, 
    Mini BGE
    36" Blackstone Griddle
    Phoenix Gasser
    Cyber Q WIFI

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Congrats on the new family member!!
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Mini woo from CGS is a must
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Congrats. the small or mini makes a great addition to the LBGE. Happy cookin to you.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,704
    Sounds like you're having fun with it! Looks great alongside your large. Do you remember where you got the table for it? Is it sturdy?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • dougbacker
    edited May 2013
    caliking got the table at Waly-Mart,(camping dept)  Was like $22.00 and yes it is pretty sturdy

South Dakota
    KBØQBT
    Large BGE, 
    Mini BGE
    36" Blackstone Griddle
    Phoenix Gasser
    Cyber Q WIFI

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Beautiful.... Just beautiful
    Seattle, WA
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    edited May 2013
    Congrats on the Mini!

You don't have the new fire ring with 3 notches for the new plate setter legs. Here's a post with pics of the new ring & Mini PS: http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1149607/for-you-eggers-with-a-mini. You could cut out notches on your own if you want.

Personally, I prefer the Mini Woo and pizza stones combo as you can go indirect or raised direct. Here's the customary list of accessories for the Mini:
    Mini Woo (http://shop.ceramicgrillstore.com/mini-10-woo-ring/)
    Old Stone Oven Pizza Stones (http://www.amazon.com/Old-Stone-Oven-4444-Stones/dp/B0000E1FDC)
    Lodge CI griddle #L70GH3 (http://www.missionrs.com/L70GH3.html or http://www.wasserstrom.com/restaurant-supplies-equipment/Product_309165)
    10" Carbon Steel Wok (http://www.wokshop.com/store/detail.php?show=64)

I don't have one but the Egg Carten is pretty popular (http://eggcarten.blogspot.com/p/features-of-mini-egg-carten.html)

I use one of these MSR Alpine Plates as a drip pan (http://www.amazon.com/MSR-321104-Alpine-Plate/dp/B000FBSZGA)

Enjoy your Mini!
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    I would add the HighQue grid. Made a huge difference for me. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    jlsm said:
    I would add the HighQue grid. Made a huge difference for me. 
    +1

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    What was said except I would not buy the platesetter at all (for any size). Woo and get the stones from Amazon. Get the 9" CI as well and get the 10"Mini Wok.  But start with the Mini Woo first and add too.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Chubbs

I have the mini woo and it is a must have IMO. I order the Amazon stones, but have not received them yet. Looking forward to being able to cook indirect on my little workhorse.

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Don't buy the HighQue until you have cooked on it and know you need it. I know some have said they have a hard time with high temps without it, where as others like me have a hard time keeping low temps. Mine likes to settle in around 400 and is a beast to keep lower. Can't imagine what the temps would be like with one.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    Congrats on the mini addition to the family!

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• Chubbs
    Griffin said:
    Don't buy the HighQue until you have cooked on it and know you need it. I know some have said they have a hard time with high temps without it, where as others like me have a hard time keeping low temps. Mine likes to settle in around 400 and is a beast to keep lower. Can't imagine what the temps would be like with one.

@Griffin, interesting. Glad you posted this. I was about to order the High-que for the mini. I may play with mine some more. I have had a difficult time getting mine to really high temps the few times I have played with it so that is why I was ordering HQ. I need to clean out some ash though. What do you use to clean yours out? I have the XL ash tool for my large and it wont fit in the mini. And, I use my shop vac for my truck so dont want to suck up ash with it and then blow it out in my truck.

dougbacker, sorry to highjack your thread!

• Griffin
    Yeah, play with it first. You may need it, you may not. I just take mine apart to clean it, or use a metal skewer that I bent to rake out the ashes. Doesn't work really great, but then again, not hard to pull out all the inards they are so light.

Rowlett, Texas

• Chubbs
    Griffin said:
    Yeah, play with it first. You may need it, you may not. I just take mine apart to clean it, or use a metal skewer that I bent to rake out the ashes. Doesn't work really great, but then again, not hard to pull out all the inards they are so light.
    Yeah, not that hard, but that would require me putting down my drink. I am trying to find a one-handed solution...
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Before I got the HighQue, I had to take the fire ring and box completely out to clean the ash each and every time I used it or I couldn't get the temp much past 325*. Now, I just use the mini ash tool three times out of four. I rarely use the mini below 350*, so I don't know much about low temps. I did hold it at 275* for some time once, but that isn't the norm for me.  
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited May 2013
    This is the ONLY thing I do not agree with Griffin on. Buy the HighQue for the Mini now. Same with the Small. Have them in both my Larges. Air is your friend.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    No ash tool clean out for me is pull inners, use little sweeper and push through vent into an ash pail.I did the shop vac but its one step too many for me.
    Seattle, WA
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    As others have stated some minis run hot. I have a hard time keeping mine under 300 with the standard grate and will easily hit 750 plus. I have the high q for my small and it fits the mini but I just see no need for it on my mini.
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    I tried my High Que grate on my Mini and found no noticeable difference in how my Mini cooks (mine behaves more like Lit's with the stock CI grate) and I see no need for one in my Mini. Sounds like this varies for folks. I prefer to clean my Mini from the top & don't use my Mini/Small ash tool. If I wanted to clean the Mini through the bottom vent with the ash tool I can see the small bits falling through the High Que easily with a little stir of the lump. My High Que stays in my Small Egg where it makes a noticeable difference in my cooks.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Griffin
    Mickey said:
    This is the ONLY thing I do not agree with Griffin on. Buy the HighQue for the Mini now. Same with the Small. Have them in both my Larges. Air is your friend.

That's ok, Mickey. We don't always have to agree. I think it boils down to the individual small. When I first got mine, there were a few times I lit it and went inside to prep. Came out 10 minutes later and it was at 750F with no HiQue. I get plenty of air flow in mine.

Rowlett, Texas

• bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760

Got plenty of airflow as well on mine. Mine easily gets to 300 and above in no time so didn't think HiQue is needed for my mini. Just like each children, each mini has their own temperaments - some are hotter than others

:D

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• Hello everyone, my name is Richard. My wife and I  live in Selma Ca and we have a medium egg. We've had the egg for around 4 months now. I've tried several dishes just love this egg. This is our attempt to cook stir fry on the egg with a little too much sauce but still very tasty. We are planning to attend the Eggfest next month in San Jose. Looking forward to that.  

I'm sure my wife will chime in once in awhile if she ever gets approved??
  • Chubbs
    I had the mini up to 900 tonight by accident. May not need high que after all.
  • Chubbs

Hello everyone, my name is Richard. My wife and I  live in Selma Ca and we have a medium egg. We've had the egg for around 4 months now. I've tried several dishes just love this egg. This is our attempt to cook stir fry on the egg with a little too much sauce but still very tasty. We are planning to attend the Eggfest next month in San Jose. Looking forward to that.  

I'm sure my wife will chime in once in awhile if she ever gets approved??
    Richard, glad to have you. Stir fry looks great. Good start! You will get a larger welcome if you start a new thread and introduce yourself there. I am sure everyone would love o see your stir fry