Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled pork for Memorial Day.

Options
So I'm 13 hrs in on a low and slow. I've said it before and will again. I can't believe how well the egg holds a steady temp. I stabilized at 235* and went to bed. I haven't touched the vents since. I injected the 10lbs. Butt with garlic and herb dressing spread some mustard on the outside and put a little bit of S&P. then a bit of Cajun spice. Looks and smells great. IT temp is 177* and it should be ready for a 2:00ish meal.

Comments

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    What's the internal?  Looks pretty good.  I would suggest a couple of layers of foil on the probe cables and top of probe, it will extend the life of your probe, maybe save you $26.00, but the important problem is being without a monitor until they ship you another..
  • Deviledegger
    Deviledegger Posts: 271
    Options
    @Charlie tuna. Internal temp is 175 now. I've hit a bit of a stall. I'm thinking the shorter secondary stall ( I hope). I have the thermoworks tw8060 thermoworks and I thought I had read that they don't need foil because the probes are a bit more durable. Is that correct. Let me know.
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    If you still have the paperwork for it, probably in small print they will tell you the ratings of the probe.  After burning up a few sets of probes i went to my local restaurant supply and studied up on the six units he had in stock ranging in prices of twenty to a hundred twenty bucks.  The higher dollar units had a lot more features, but the one thing they all seemed to have in common were their temperature ratings on the probes.  I think the highest was 325 degrees, and all in small print!!  So i went home and on my next cook, which was a spatchcocked chicken, i measured the temperature just inside the egg.  That area that is exposed to the bed of lump below!  I quickly pulled my thermapen back away from the area as it jumped past 400 degrees on it's way up!!!  On the DigiQ probes failure, the manufacturer explained the weakest area is the connection to the stainless steel probe.  The armored cables's insulation can take some extream heat, but that connection can't.  And of course water can be just as damaging.  So i went the foil method, and figured if one layer is good, two would be better!!  And i thought it would be a PITA to maintain, but it really isn't, and i have only changed it twice.  I foil(double) that portion of the armored cable that extends into the egg and also the first inch or so, of the probe.  So far, near three years, no problem.  No problem, even on my cheap monitors too.  
  • Deviledegger
    Deviledegger Posts: 271
    Options
    Thanks for the info. Foil it is. Double for that matter. It's foolish to burn it up if you can avoid it!
  • Smolder
    Smolder Posts: 104
    Options
    I've had great luck with Polder thermometers. I'm on my second one in 18 yrs. First one lasted me 11 yrs. I've got seven on this one, and it's still going strong. Only use them for low and slows. Never had to do anything but wipe with a sponge after cooking.