Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st Brisket was successful, but....

Options
I cooked my first brisket on my large BGE! It came out great but realized during the process that it would have been great to have had a meat and grill temperature control unit. I have been searching the WEB and there is a large range of models and prices. Any feedback on units you have had success with and must have features would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• Egghead_Daron
    Egghead_Daron Posts: 862
    Options
    I love my Maverick 732
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Maverick 732. Couldn't live without it
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Aberdeengreen
    Options
    Thanks. That was the one I was leaning towards. I was also looking at those high priced Digi ones due to the multiple probes. Any feedback on those from Forum members? Thanks!
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    Most people love their Maverick ET732s...until the probes start dying.  I can't recommend any alternatives though.  I still use a 732.  Even for ribs, where a food probe really isn't appropriate, it's nice to be able to remotely monitor the grid temp.  Saves me the trouble of getting up and walking out to read the dome dial.
  • Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    Options
    I have the Stoker wifi and it is great for those over night cooks.  Set it, forget it, sleep all night. I have never gotten up the next morning with my fire out. The down side, it is a lot of money to spend for something I only use a few times a year.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited May 2013
    Options
    That's a different beast all together. I have a Stoker (similar to the DigiQ) and a Maverick.

Pit controllers are great but they're not needed. It essentially maintains whatever temp you dial in by providing oxygen with a fan. It makes it easy for overnight cooks and allows you to check and change temps from your mobile phone or computer. While I could get by without it, I definitely don't regret the purchase.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....