Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Prime rib question

I just ordered a 10 # prime rib roast to be ready on Sunday, cooking on Monday. Have a few questions about set up and cook.

Was thinking 250 indirect on a V-rack, till IT of 135ish....

Any other better suggestions, or tips? How much time should I allow?

Thanks -Adam
Fighting Sioux Hockey
·

Comments

• hapsterhapster Posts: 6,936
    Only have done one boneless before. I'd go 350 indirect till 135
    ·
  • 4Runner4Runner Posts: 1,980
    Reverse sear works well. I've gone from 250 to 325 and in between. All about the same so I just adjust temp based on my estimated target cooking time. Enjoy!
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
    ·
  • TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,422
    Doing one Sunday. Planning 275 indirect to 115' then rest while Egg heats up to 500 plus, then a reverse sear for a minute or two per side. One of my favorite cooks.
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,494

The following may be about the best prime rib and BGE info site going-you will exposed to all you need:

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/beef-standing-rib-roast-prime-rib.html

beyond that tutorial-you can choose to reverse sear or other options.  Enjoy the cook-as long as you hit the finish-line temp all is well.

Louisville
    ·
  • jeroldharterjeroldharter Posts: 464
    I did this exact cook at Christmas. Based on advice here it turned out very well. I did a reverse sear. I set out the meat for at least an hour before cooking and gave it a heavy rub.

I cooked it at ~250 until internal temp of 105. That seemed low but it works. Then I removed the meat onto a platter tented with foil and put indoors. I cranked up the Egg to >450. Then I put the meat back on for some direct searing, just a couple of minutes per side to get a crust. After resting in foil for at least 15 minutes, the internal temp reached 130-135 and it was perfect.
    ·
  • cookinfuncookinfun Posts: 129
    Hey, Jerold.. Am doing a four bone prime rib this weekend.  I usually cook low/slow, indirect to internal of +/- 120, then finish direct to 127internal, then rest... approx.  I think I'll try your 105F, then crank it up and sear longer.  I think the bark will be better using your temp...thanks.
    (2) LBGEs,  WSM, Vidalia Grill (gasser), Tailgater Grill (gasser)
    ·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 7,082
    edited May 2013
    Reverse sear like TJ mentions above. Key is use a rub paste. It draws some of the surface fat and provides a nice crust for the sear. Don't sear too hot, it is not a steak it is a roast. I prefer bone off, tie the roast to create a more circular, even cooking chunk of meat. Remember a 2 rib size cooks just as fast as a 4 rib size - it is the thickness of the meat not the length. 
    No V rack needed, right on the felt level indirect grid. Use a drip pan, although you will not get much drip, but makes for a faster cleanup. 
    Good luck!
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,321
    Don't know what the v rack would do. Just make sure that you have a drip pan with some spacers under it to capture the semi liquid gold.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • weredaoneweredaone Posts: 53
    I did this exact cook at Christmas. Based on advice here it turned out very well. I did a reverse sear. I set out the meat for at least an hour before cooking and gave it a heavy rub.

I cooked it at ~250 until internal temp of 105. That seemed low but it works. Then I removed the meat onto a platter tented with foil and put indoors. I cranked up the Egg to >450. Then I put the meat back on for some direct searing, just a couple of minutes per side to get a crust. After resting in foil for at least 15 minutes, the internal temp reached 130-135 and it was perfect.

I am doing this for my daughters birthday monday, how long a cook should I plan on?
    ·
  • AltonAlton Posts: 432
    Reverse sear works incredibly well
    image.jpg 1015.1K
    image.jpg 856.8K
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......
    ·