Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

dome temp vs grate temp digiq

Options
I just started an 8.5 lb boston butt for an overnight cook. I am using the digiq and currently have a grid reading of 225 and a dome reading of about 255. Is this normal? also know that my grid probe is incorrect because i stuck it in boiling water and it only read 186. Does this seem odd. Feedback is appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    How long have you had your indirect piece in?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• graysilm
    graysilm Posts: 5
    Options
    It was only in for about 20 minutes. Things are stabilizing now. Dome is at 255 and grid is at 246
  • Mross
    Mross Posts: 338
    Options
    My experience with the maverick is the longer you leave the dome closed the grid temp and dome temp start to equalize. If you open the egg a bunch 25 degrees or more difference can be expected.
    Duncan, SC
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    Your egg is just stabilizing as the meat is heating up and becoming less of a "heat load".
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    @grayslim-I'm confused by your initial post (happens quite frequently so need need to worry).  You mention a delta T of 30*F and then say that your grid probe is reading 186 when it should be around 212*F (roughly 26*F delta T).  So do you know what your true delta T is?...30*F or 4* or...Regardless, the above general BGE behavior is good info.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • graysilm
    graysilm Posts: 5
    Options
    @lousubcap-I have been concerned that my temp readings on my digiq dx2 have been off since i bought it. I decided to test the probes in boiling water. The food probe read 209F which is close enough for me but the grid alligator clip probe only registered 186F in theboiling water and that concerns me. I left it in the water for about a minute and it stopped climbing at 186. Maybe I didnt leave it in there long enough? Anyway, I read the user guide and there are instructions for calibrating the food probe but not the grid probe. Any thouhts?
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    edited May 2013
    Options
    I don't have a digiq so no help there-I would say to get comfortable with whatever thermo reading you want to use and go from there.  Cook temps here generally refer to the dome thermo unless stated otherwise as all BGE's have that.  There are temperature gradients within the BGE as mentioned above so all you are looking for (especially on a low&slow) is a reference number to give you an approximation for the duration of the cook.  As all cooks run until the meat finish temperature  is reached the key is to have confidence in whatever indication you use.  And you can end up wilh too many indications and get sideways with all that data.  Keep it simple and don't chase the cook temp.  Just an opinion...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    graysilm said:
    @lousubcap-I have been concerned that my temp readings on my digiq dx2 have been off since i bought it. I decided to test the probes in boiling water. The food probe read 209F which is close enough for me but the grid alligator clip probe only registered 186F in theboiling water and that concerns me. I left it in the water for about a minute and it stopped climbing at 186. Maybe I didnt leave it in there long enough? Anyway, I read the user guide and there are instructions for calibrating the food probe but not the grid probe. Any thouhts?
    Swap the probes - food in pit and pit in food and then recheck the boiling water.  This should isolate wether you have a probe problem or a port problem.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI