Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

smoke

Options
With the same amount of wood, does lower temp render less smoke flavor than higher temp? Or vice versa?

Comments

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    I believe lower temperatures allow longer exposure to unsealed meat surfaces, and longer exposure produces more smoke flavor.  Just my $.02  though!
  • cookinfun
    cookinfun Posts: 129
    Options
    FWIW,  I have experienced the longer the exposure to wood, the greater the smoke taste.  I always do "low / slow" with mostly wood charcoal, like Wicked Good plus a couple of chunks of a preferred wood.  I have found that cooking low / slow with a lot of wood chunks might cause an unpleasent taste of wood byproducts...using more wood its prob better to light and reduce to coals to limit the taste. 
    (2) LBGEs,  WSM, Vidalia Grill (gasser), Tailgater Grill (gasser)
  • RustyBrainpan
    Options
    The organics in the smoke - the components that create the flavor - deposit on the moist surface of the meat.  When the meat is cool and moist, these organics condense and deposit on the meat and become what we recognize as the smoke flavor.  The lower cooking temperatures allow this process to occur longer, causing the smoke flavor to be more intense than it would be at higher cooking temperatures.
  • cookinfun
    cookinfun Posts: 129
    Options
    Well said Rusty..
    (2) LBGEs,  WSM, Vidalia Grill (gasser), Tailgater Grill (gasser)