Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to prevent singed arm

Yes, I burp the Egg like it shows in the video...  but even so, when I open it all the way when at 500+ I still get my arm (hair) singed occasionally. I try to stand to the side but it still happens. 

If I wore a long sleeve cotton shirt (yeah, like in today's 95+ heat,) would that prevent it... or would I set it on fire? (That would not be good!)

Thanks for any thoughts. 

Comments

• SamMiller0
    SamMiller0 Posts: 38
    You get a flashback even after burping? Do a longer burp, maybe hold the lid open for 5 or 10 seconds.
    Rochester, MN  --- Large BGE
  • acegg77
    acegg77 Posts: 120
    Oh... I didn't know the 5 second rule. I thought it was open an inch, close, open an inch, wait a sec, open all the way.

No wonder I keep getting burned! I'm doing it wrong. 

(I still think this is safer than my old Weber gas grill... I've had fires in the pan under the burner... scared my wife half to death... she'd run to get the salt. There is no way to "close it" and starve it for air. 

I suppose that could happen with the BGE but if you closed both vetns flames would probably go out in a min. or so?
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    You just don't know how to burp an Egg.  Take my advice.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    Use to have the same problem.  What has worked for me is open about an inch wait a few sec, open an inch more, you will see the flame flare up a little not not flash out at you, then open. 
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    edited May 2013
    I bought a pair of leather welding gauntlets from Amazon for about $12 and they're the most versatile accessory I've bought yet (out of a fair sized field). I use them when opening the egg, when moving hot equipment (like removing a stone to finish an indirect cook direct), for cleaning ( they are pretty filthy now), for stirring lump before lighting to get rid of ash, for stirring lump after lighting on higher temp cooks, all kinds of ways. Seriously, not may favorite accessory or the most exciting, but far and away the most versatile and possibly the best value (per unit price).

Cheers -
    B_B

P.S. - By gauntlets I mean they come up to about my elbow...
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    When you finally do open, open slowly. If fling it open the draft of air is enough O2 to get it excited. Another thing is if you overshoot your temp and get it to 700 or so then choke it back to get down, you are starving the fire of O2. When you open egg, if hauls ass to the oxygen. You get these two things down, you won't singe again.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Why do you need arm hair? Or eyebrows?
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA