Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
April showers bring...National BBQ Month! Are you ready for a month full of briskets, pulled pork and chicken wings? We hope so, because it’s almost here! Keep an eye out for some of our favorite BBQ recipes we’ll be sharing with you throughout the month of May.

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Butt time temp check

MrCookingNurseMrCookingNurse Posts: 3,985
edited May 2013 in EggHead Forum
Cooking a butt Sunday morning.

8lb
275 grate
Put on at 7 am, will be home from church around 1, need to have it pulled at 530pm

Roughly have 9 hours to play with.

When I get home from church I will adjust temp prn, do not want to foil until I pull and FTC if need be.

Bone in, going to inject with Italian drsg

Edit: doing this on my small

LBGE & SBGE (big momma and pat)
·

Comments

• shtgunal3shtgunal3 Posts: 2,902
    +1 on everything BUT the Italian dressing

LBGE,SBGE, and a mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

·
  • MrCookingNurseMrCookingNurse Posts: 3,985
    shtgunal3 said:

+1 on everything BUT the Italian dressing

Haha I've seen it on tv and my buddy Trey only does his like this now. Just gonna give it a try.

·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 6,027
    I tried this method once and it turned out really good:

Time sounds about right to me.  Only thing I would suggest...I wouldn't rule out foiling the butt during the cook as option to speed it up if time is getting short.  I don't think you will need to...but it's a good option to have if you need to speed it along.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·
    edited May 2013
    @smokeypitt

That's the plan for the injection, if I have to ill foil for sure.

·
  • Mattman3969Mattman3969 Posts: 4,357
    @MCN- the last one I did was a 9lbs and I did it at about 275 (@ the grid) until I hit 120 or so and then bumped to 350 it finished in 7 1/2 hrs roughly. I kicked it in at 120 because I read hereg (I think) that is where smoke absorption is done. Was prolly the best one I have done yet without foil. I am in the ditch the Italian dressing camp too, but what do I know. You should try a good slather of srichacha sauce and BB butt rub. Awesome if you like a bit of heat in you bark.

-----------------------------------------

Large BGE. Small BGE Henderson, Ky.
    ·
  • Solson005Solson005 Posts: 1,906
    edited May 2013
    I did a 7 ½ lb butt on my small a couple weeks ago at 275° and no foil, same temp the entire cook and it was a touch under 8 hours. It turned out fantastic. Pulled Pork and Brisket kind of weekend.
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
    ·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,270
    Ièm pretty sure you can do that at inferno temps

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
    @mattman3969

If it wasn't moms day I'd turn up the heat! I love some sriracha sauce!

@solson005

Thanks man. That sounds like the plan!

Ièm pretty sure you can do that at inferno temps

:-??

@steveWPBFL

you got any input or just disagree?

·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,270
    Sorry, That was sort of a gaff to the turbo butt thing, I have only done low and slow

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·

Sorry, That was sort of a gaff to the turbo butt thing, I have only done low and slow

Ha I knew ya were joking. Just didn't know what to say.

·
  • ScottborasjrScottborasjr Posts: 2,500
    Doing the exact same cook MCN, except trying injecting teriyaki instead of Italian. Can't remember where I read that one but going to give it a go.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
    ·
  • CANMAN1976CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,529
    edited May 2013
    Reverse sear the damn thing!!! Just kidding.... sounds like a plan .Be sure to post pics!!! ;)

Hows ya gettin' on, me ol cock? 

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
    ·
  • If I remeber right, Mr. Tuna is the man who injects with teiyaki.  Next butt I'm gonna try that.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 13,979
    That's roughly 10 hours.. Some cuts take longer... IMHO. Might start earlier or Turbo. I know little steven disagrees but I like to ftc a few hours.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·