Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Pork - WOW!! from Diners, Drive-Ins, Dives

BigWader
BigWader Posts: 673
edited October 2012 in Pork

Decided yesterday to try and replicate a pulled pork I saw featured on Triple D.  Can't remember the name of the joint where it was on the menu but the owner/chef apparently won some comps and placed high at Memphis in May.  With the last minute decision I thought I'd try it this way since there was no overnight process - it was prepare and straight on the grill.  Here's how it goes...

The special touch seems to be injecting with Italian dressing - strained to remove the particulate and then incorporating the chunks into the rub.  The oil in the dressing is purported to increase the heat transfer internally and I guess the acid and salt work on the meat.

I used regular Italian and a bit of Chipotle Lime dressing I had to make sure I had enough. 

Mixed the chunks with mustard and put a coat on the whole pork.  Topped that with a homemade rub that has 50% turbinado sugar to make sure I'd get a good bark. 

With the egg stabilized at around 250 grate I put chips (apple, hickory) and put the pork on I let it go for a couple hours before going to bed.  Got up at 7:00 and found my temp dropped to 195 grate so I jiggled the firebox grate and the charcoal a bit and it came back up to 260 pretty quick.  Pulled it to rest at 190, wrapped tight in foil and into the cooler and pulled for dinner after a few hours. 

The result was the best pulled pork I've done.  Simply way more moist internally than any other I've done.  I see myself making it this way again for a crowd and get more feedback.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

Comments