Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Removing skins from almonds?

Is there a way to easily remove the skins from almonds?  We used to get them at a local department store which had a nut counter and served them warm.  Those were always the best tasting nuts I could remember.  I kind of recall the lady said they were blanched, but it was a very long time ago and I have slept since then.  I would hate to ruin a perfectly good batch of almonds before smoking them by trying to blanch them at home so was hoping someone here was familiar with this process.
A poor widows son.
See der Rabbits, Iowa

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Blanch them.  There are probably instructions all over the place, but you could try a few for a certain period of time, see if the skin comes off, if not, longer, etc.  It's pretty easy, but I haven't done it in a long time to remember exactly how long they had to be in the hot water.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Yes, blanch them for 60 seconds and strain. Blot them dry on a paper towel and squeeze them on the wider end. Essentially the same way as you do pearl onions

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    I would try some with the skin on and see if blanching is worth the trouble, any smoked almonds I have had were natural. Gerhard
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    I've done them with skins on, and yes they are very good.  Wanted to try without to see if they were as much better as I remember the roasted nuts from the department store were.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa