Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Here are some of our new favorite non-beef burgers: Italian Turkey Burger, Grilled Tuna Burger and Goat Cheese Portobello Burger. You’ll want to perfect these before football season starts up in a few weeks! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Back in the saddle again after brisket fail

Epic Brisket fail on Masters Sunday with a house full if guests. Have had great success in the past, don't know what went wrong. Great flavor but chewy and more like roast beef. I chucked mine in the trash and put a hot dog in the gasser.

So, I decided I had to get in the saddle again. Total clean out, hand stacked big chunk fire.
6# flat went on at 930cst at 300 dome with tons of mesquite chunk smoke.
Will post updates.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keywords: Gator, Nashvegas, LBGE, Looftlighter, Thermapen in Racing Green (faster than the red one!), PSWOO2, Spider with CI, IQ120

Comments

• flemsterflemster Posts: 247
    Little temp creep. Minor draft adjustments
    image.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 3M

Keywords: Gator, Nashvegas, LBGE, Looftlighter, Thermapen in Racing Green (faster than the red one!), PSWOO2, Spider with CI, IQ120
  • rsmith193rsmith193 Posts: 219
    IMHO the mesquite will make the brisket bitter. That wood is better suited for hot and fast. I would also try 250 dome temp, a bit longer, but that will allow it colegen to break down better.
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 4,847

Saw your prior post about the fail-all I can say is that I have been wrestling with flats (about all I can get) for years and I have had many more singles and doubles (with the occasional strike-out) than triples and home-runs.  Around 190*F I start probing the thickest part of the flat and once it goes in and out with little to no resistance, I pull and FTC (usually around 200*F or so).  Most times I do throw some beef broth into the foil packet.  Let it rest for a few hours and just tried this from Cen-Tex-when ready to slice I took it out around 15-20  mins early and let it cool some before slicing.  Was quite good but with so many freaking variables, hard to know it the cooling was a contributor.  That said, will try it again to see if I can get some consistency.

You may already be aware of the following-but here are some great links-

http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/texas_brisket.html
    http://www.bubbatim.com/
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/recipes.htm
    http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/brisket.html

Enjoy the journey and the ride!

Louisville
    1130 CST. 140-160 internal. Some bark but not deep black. Wrapped in foil with sweet white wine to cook in juices. More to follow

1330cst 200-205 IT by thermapen. Put in the cooler in its juices in the foil. Rest x 2 hours then the moment of truth. Concerned it cooked too fast but it was meant to be a turbo. Will see

OH YEAH! HE's Back!
    I would give it a solid B+. A+ for smoke ring, great pull. B for moisture, just a tad dry. Overall a solid performance. The mesquite was delicious.
    image.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 3M
    image.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
    image.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 2M

• njlnjl Posts: 756
    If its dry, hit it with some BBQ sauce.
    njl said:

If its dry, hit it with some BBQ sauce.

We did. Each has their own. I have a spicy one who's base is drippings from a previous brisket then hotted up with sriracha and habjeneros. My kids love my sweet KC style despite my insistence that beef doesn't get sweet sauce.