Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Back in the saddle again after brisket fail

Options
Epic Brisket fail on Masters Sunday with a house full if guests. Have had great success in the past, don't know what went wrong. Great flavor but chewy and more like roast beef. I chucked mine in the trash and put a hot dog in the gasser.

So, I decided I had to get in the saddle again. Total clean out, hand stacked big chunk fire.
6# flat went on at 930cst at 300 dome with tons of mesquite chunk smoke.
Will post updates.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keywords: Gator, Nashvegas, LBGE, Looftlighter, Thermapen in Racing Green (faster than the red one!), PSWOO2, Spider with CI, IQ120

Comments

• flemster
    flemster Posts: 269
    Options
    Little temp creep. Minor draft adjustments

Keywords: Gator, Nashvegas, LBGE, Looftlighter, Thermapen in Racing Green (faster than the red one!), PSWOO2, Spider with CI, IQ120
  • rsmith193
    rsmith193 Posts: 219
    Options
    IMHO the mesquite will make the brisket bitter. That wood is better suited for hot and fast. I would also try 250 dome temp, a bit longer, but that will allow it colegen to break down better.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,340
    Options

Saw your prior post about the fail-all I can say is that I have been wrestling with flats (about all I can get) for years and I have had many more singles and doubles (with the occasional strike-out) than triples and home-runs.  Around 190*F I start probing the thickest part of the flat and once it goes in and out with little to no resistance, I pull and FTC (usually around 200*F or so).  Most times I do throw some beef broth into the foil packet.  Let it rest for a few hours and just tried this from Cen-Tex-when ready to slice I took it out around 15-20  mins early and let it cool some before slicing.  Was quite good but with so many freaking variables, hard to know it the cooling was a contributor.  That said, will try it again to see if I can get some consistency.

You may already be aware of the following-but here are some great links-

http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/texas_brisket.html
    http://www.bubbatim.com/
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/recipes.htm
    http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/brisket.html

Enjoy the journey and the ride!

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • flemster
    Options
    1130 CST. 140-160 internal. Some bark but not deep black. Wrapped in foil with sweet white wine to cook in juices. More to follow

• flemster
    Options
    1330cst 200-205 IT by thermapen. Put in the cooler in its juices in the foil. Rest x 2 hours then the moment of truth. Concerned it cooked too fast but it was meant to be a turbo. Will see

• flemster
    Options
    OH YEAH! HE's Back!
    I would give it a solid B+. A+ for smoke ring, great pull. B for moisture, just a tad dry. Overall a solid performance. The mesquite was delicious.

• njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    If its dry, hit it with some BBQ sauce.
  • flemster
    Options
    njl said:

If its dry, hit it with some BBQ sauce.

We did. Each has their own. I have a spicy one who's base is drippings from a previous brisket then hotted up with sriracha and habjeneros. My kids love my sweet KC style despite my insistence that beef doesn't get sweet sauce.