Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tailgating: What do you do with hot coals?

Do you just let them burn until the fire goes out, then leave your egg outside while you go into the game?  Is there some sort of container you could put the hot coals in so you can secure your egg inside your vehicle?  I don't know what the safe way is to go about doing this.

Comments

500 Posts: 3,177
    As much as I would love to tailgate with my Egg, the potential for damage from rowdy tailgaters shys me away from bringing it.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    You can just run water in Egg to cool down (yes it has been done). Or an alum small type trash can to put them in and leave outside.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    We took out the hot coals and dumped ice in Salado. Take a metal can for the hot coals... Maybe a screen lid. You could always dump them in the back seat of your rivals car..
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Dump ice cold water in the BGE...it cools of quickly from there....
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I put my hot coals into a foil pan and add water then throw away the pan.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    I've wondered about this too. How do you folks take the coals out? Welding gloves and grab the firebox? Some kind of makeshift charcoal basket before you light the charcoal? PIck each piece out individually with tongs?

I am surprised that you can pour ice cold water right into a hot egg and not have it crack. I believe you if you did it, but don't think I have the stones to try it myself.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • I made a scoop out of a large serving spoon bent at 90 degrees. I empty into a small metal pail with a lid & pour water in that. Then I remove internals and open everything up. It cools relatively quickly. I don't really tailgate. We picnic and I take my small & mini. I also take them when visiting.
    Flint, Michigan
  • CAT Seller
    CAT Seller Posts: 208
    Throw them at the opposing team.
    If it ain't a CAT, it's a dog!!! 2 LBGE's & BGE Backyard Chef Edition Cart
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    edited April 2013
    I use my ove gloves and scoop them out by hand.
  • JOJayhawk
    JOJayhawk Posts: 27
    Alnd based on your profile picture am I to assume you're tailgating at Arrowhead. If you are the Chiefs have dumpster sized bins to dump hot charcoal into
    Overland Park, Kansas
    XL
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    I've had to convert from a hot burger/pizza cook, to an overnight low and slow.  I let the coals burn down as much as I can, then using the ash tool. tilt the fire grate so all the hot coals fall into the bottom of the Egg.  Scrape them out into a galvanized steel pail, and water it down.  wait til Egg cools off enough to reload with lump and good to go.  
    Grregger Posts: 13
    Throw them at the opposing team.
    If you are visiting the Oakland coliseum I would not recommend this strategy but would instead use the specific ash bins that they have there.