Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Pork Question

Options
SmokingInMO
SmokingInMO Posts: 169
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Okay I am 17 hours in and the pork is at 193 degrees. I have my sauce prepared and the beans will go on as soon as the pork hits 200. Question though, what is the prefered way to prepare it? I have plenty of buns for sandwiches but am considering just pulling it and putting a few big spoon fulls on a plate and saving the buns for left overs. Just curious to how others normally serve it. For the record this is killing me not opening up the egg to take a peek.

Comments

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    SmokingInMO,
    Stick it out there and let your guests decide how they want to eat it. Some will want buns and others won't.[p]Sounds like they are in for some good eats either way.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,923
    Options
    SmokingInMO, if this is your first butt - brace yourself for your first glimpse - the bark will be dark and the fat may even be black - don't worry that is normal and in the pulling process when you are removing the chunks of fat they may look a little gross to the squimisk, but the taste of fresh pulled pork is wonderful!

• Retired RailRoader
    Options
    SmokingInMO,
    I like to serve mine with cole slaw and a vinegar based sauce on some fresh Kaiser rolls. But I see no reason why you should not serve it alone with the rest on the side. After all this is the "Good Old U.S.A." and you have the right to eat and serve it however you want too. God Bless Our Troops in Iraq, Iran and everywhere else!!!

Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • SmokingInMO
    Options
    RRP,
    Yes this is my first butt, maybe I should have picked up the 7 pound boston rather then the 11 pound picnic cause this wait is killing me. Almost 18 hours in now and I am watching my Maverick like a hawk waiting for that sweet 200 mark. I am surprised though how much the temperature rise is occurring now that I am over 190 mark. Another surprise though is the egg is staying much more consistant then I had expected for this long cook, I just went and checked it and it is still dead on 250.

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    SmokingInMO,
    Just curious why you want to take it to 200, I take mine off at 185, wrap in foil and towels in a cooler for a couple hours, then pull it. The bone falls out clean and the meat falls apart. -RP

• SmokingInMO
    Options
    AZRP,[p]Just went with 200 because everything I have read says that. I got impatient and pulled it off at 195 though, it is sitting in the coolers as we speak and the beans are now on the egg smoking.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    SmokingInMO,
    It will be delish, enjoy! -RP

• BabyBoomBBQ
    Options
    Bobby-Q,[p]I agree 100%. Let the guests decide how they want to eat it.[p]Boom

• billyg
    billyg Posts: 315
    Options