Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
As we round out National BBQ Month, we hope you’ve gotten to try some new recipes that will keep you cooking all summer long. Check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

New Rutland Installed...question.

Just installed my new Rutland gasket tonight. I wanted to wait until temps hit 70 degrees consistently, but this cool spring isn't cooperating. Installation was easy. I used permatex ultra copper for the adhesive.

Temp was about 55 degrees when I installed the gasket. The tube says 24 hour cure time at 70 degrees, longer in cooler temps. Anybody have thoughts on how much longer?
Mark Annville, PA
·

Comments

• ChubbsChubbs Posts: 5,112
    I have no clue but I would wait 48 to be safe.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
  • ScottborasjrScottborasjr Posts: 2,631
    I know a lot of people have built a small fire @ 250* for a couple hours to cure in temps like this but like you I have been waiting.  It's 37 degrees and raining for me right now.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
    ·
  • BOWHUNRBOWHUNR Posts: 1,443
    As of last week I have them on all four of mine.  The small was the last to get one and it was 45* here in NE when it was installed.  I let it set three days and I've got a small Hormel pork loin on as we speak.  Three days was plenty at that temp.  It set up and works/looks as good as the ones I've done in the summer.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
    ·
  • cortguitarmancortguitarman Posts: 2,024
    @chubbs, that's what I was thinking. 48 hours without egged food...I'll starve!
    Mark Annville, PA
    ·
  • ScottborasjrScottborasjr Posts: 2,631
    @BOWHUNR is about 60 miles from me so I guess there is your answer.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
    ·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 6,862
    No experience on an egg - but have done a few on my woodstove, temp in that room is never over 60F unless the fire is on and it can't be on until it sets. 
    After 48 hours it is set and I always light a small fire, kindling only. After 60 hours it is good to go. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·