Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Canadian and American Bacon curing, images in a week

Options
egger ave
egger ave Posts: 721
edited April 2013 in EggHead Forum
Started curing 10 lbs of fresh pork belly last night for american bacon. The pork loin is curing for canadian bacon this morning. Not much to look at except 1 gallon zip lock bags in the refrigerator. I have started adding fresh Guajillo peppers from my garden to the cures. Adds a little heat and a Texas touch to the finished meat. 

from Wikipedia

The guajillo chili's thin, deep red flesh has a green tea flavor with berry overtones. Its fruits are large and mild in flavor, with only a small amount of heat (rating 2,500 to 5,000 on the Scoville scale). They are sometimes used to make the salsa for tamales; the dried fruits are seeded, soaked, pulverized to a thin paste, then cooked with salt and several other ingredients to produce a thick, red, flavorful sauce.

Guajillo chilies may be used in pastes, butters or rubs to flavor all kinds of meats, especially chicken. Alternatively, they can be added to salsas to create a sweet side dish with a surprisingly hot finish.

1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein

Comments

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options

Sounds great @egger ave, like the Guajillo addition.  One of my go-to chiles when making rubs. 

Got 9lbs curing as well, finish date of 4/25.  Trying to fit in one more cold smoke over two nights.

Post some pics when finished.   ;)

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."