Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s that time of year again-time to hop on out to your backyard for an EGG hunt. If you’re lucky, you’ll only have to search as far as your patio! Planning on cooking Easter Sunday? Check out our Easter Menu. If you’re looking for a sweet treat to enjoy with the whole family, try at least one of our sweet treats, if not both: Grilled Peeps & Carrot Cupcakes. Lastly, if you’re having company, our Pinterest page has lots of ideas for entertaining. We hope you have an EGGstra tasty holiday!

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Spatchcock Turkey Questions

I am going to try a spachcock turkey for the first time. I am thinking around 12 lbs., direct @ 275 degrees to 160 breast 180 wings.

How long do you estimate this should take to cook ?

Should I inject the turkey?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks for the input.

·

Comments

• caneggercanegger Posts: 533
    edited April 2013
    I did my turkey detween 350 and 400 and it took about 2hr15min with nothing on it. I think I would go hotter then 275. Are you raising the grid
    ·
  • robnybbqrobnybbq Posts: 1,712
    I did a 18 lb turkey 350-400 raised direct - took ~3 hours.  Best turkey ever.

Garnerville, NY
    ·
  • caneggercanegger Posts: 533
    My turkey was 15lbs.
    ·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 6,458
    edited April 2013
    Here is a great description of an alternate way to do a turkey. 
    Started with needing a way to get a 15 # bird on my MBGE, so I cut it up first. Legs/thighs on first, then breasts/wings about 15 minutes later at 325, indirect. Legs to 175, breast to 155. Joan fine tuned it and improved the idea, has now become our go to for turkey, Thanks @Austin_Egghead

Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,036
    edited April 2013
    Do them all the time at 400 raised direct and Spatchcocked. 12 lbs about 75 to 85 min. I like a coffee rub. Of you have time leave uncovered overnight in fridge.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • egzillaegzilla Posts: 38
    canegger said:
    I did my turkey detween 350 and 400 and it took about 2hr15min with nothing on it. I think I would go hotter then 275. Are you raising the grid
    Yes I am raising the grid
    ·

Any opions on injecting?

·

Let me try that again...

Any opinions on injecting ?

·
  • yzziyzzi Posts: 1,793
    I've done a few raised direct at 375 give or take. I did try icing the breast for 15 minutes on the last one and the thighs finished same time as breast. I would probably do that again, though my other ones turned out fine without doing that. 

+1 on a coffee rub.
    Dunedin, FL
    ·
    Iceing no help in Spatchcock, works real well if natural shape
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • tazcrashtazcrash Posts: 1,851
    Mickey said:
    Iceing no help in Spatchcock, works real well if natural shape
    Really? Why would that be? More exposure? 
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
    ·
    All is at grate level on Spatchcock.

·
  • gfavorgfavor Posts: 61
    So egzilla, How did your turkey turn out; cooking indirect? What would you do differently? Just read this post. Gonna try a spachcock turkey this month.
    ·