Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
April showers bring...National BBQ Month! Are you ready for a month full of briskets, pulled pork and chicken wings? We hope so, because it’s almost here! Keep an eye out for some of our favorite BBQ recipes we’ll be sharing with you throughout the month of May.

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Thermapen Error

I've used my Thermapen about 3 times now.  Yesterday, while doing some ribs, I open it up and the temp just climbs until it reads "ERR."  Anyone ever have this happen?  Is there a fix or should I call the company?

XL BGE; CyberQ Wifi; Adjustable Rig, Woo2 Green Bay, Wisconsin
·

Comments

• Absolutely contact them!  They have a great product and I haven't heard of any problems with them before.  Perhaps the battery is about dead and other forum members who have owned one longer than me may be able to tell you how it acts when the battery is low.  Mine isn't there yet.

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

·
  • pineypiney Posts: 514
    As Fred stated contact Thermopen I had one with issues, called Thermopen, they sent me a replacement like the next day, I then returned the defective one in a prepaid deal they sent.Great company to deal with!!
    Lenoir, N.C.
    ·
  • travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,781
    Contact them by phone.

Mine recently broke out of warranty. They replaced it for $18
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  • The Naked WhizThe Naked Whiz Posts: 7,780
    When a thermocouple fails (which is what you have in the probe of a Thermapen), it is because the junction probably has opened up.  When that happens, it will read probably and infinite temperature, but in any case, it will read a very very high temperature and thus the rising temp on the display until it reads ERR.  You need the probe replaced, is my guess.
    The Naked Whiz
    ·
  • KruegsKruegs Posts: 124
    Wow!  Fantastic customer service.  I called, explained the situation and within 5 minutes had everything set up to have a new thermapen shipped today no questions asked!
    XL BGE; CyberQ Wifi; Adjustable Rig, Woo2 Green Bay, Wisconsin
    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 10,984
    Fantastic! Suddenly, $95 bucks for this level of quality doesn't look that bad, huh?  ;)
    ·