Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thermapen Error

Options

I've used my Thermapen about 3 times now.  Yesterday, while doing some ribs, I open it up and the temp just climbs until it reads "ERR."  Anyone ever have this happen?  Is there a fix or should I call the company?

XL BGE; CyberQ Wifi; Adjustable Rig, Woo2 Green Bay, Wisconsin

Comments

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Absolutely contact them!  They have a great product and I haven't heard of any problems with them before.  Perhaps the battery is about dead and other forum members who have owned one longer than me may be able to tell you how it acts when the battery is low.  Mine isn't there yet.
    Flint, Michigan
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    As Fred stated contact Thermopen I had one with issues, called Thermopen, they sent me a replacement like the next day, I then returned the defective one in a prepaid deal they sent.Great company to deal with!!
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    Contact them by phone.

Mine recently broke out of warranty. They replaced it for $18
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    When a thermocouple fails (which is what you have in the probe of a Thermapen), it is because the junction probably has opened up.  When that happens, it will read probably and infinite temperature, but in any case, it will read a very very high temperature and thus the rising temp on the display until it reads ERR.  You need the probe replaced, is my guess.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Kruegs
    Kruegs Posts: 128
    Options
    Wow!  Fantastic customer service.  I called, explained the situation and within 5 minutes had everything set up to have a new thermapen shipped today no questions asked!
    XL BGE; CyberQ Wifi; Adjustable Rig, Woo2 Green Bay, Wisconsin
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Fantastic! Suddenly, $95 bucks for this level of quality doesn't look that bad, huh?  ;)