Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meat Tenderizer

Options
SteveWPBFL
SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
edited April 2013 in EggHead Forum
Anyone familiar with it, how it works? Is it worth using? I don't recall seeing it noted anywhere on the site in the past year. A guy at work swears by it. I have no clue.

Comments

• Dave in Florida
    Options
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • SteveWPBFL
    Options
    No, sorry, meant the white powder that you sprinkle on.
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Options
    I know it's good for bee stings. But honestly never used the stuff.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• SteveWPBFL
    Options
    It's Bromelain, which according to Wikipedia -

Along with papain, bromelain is one of the most popular substances to use for meat tenderizing.
    Today, about 90% of meat tenderizer is used in consumer households. Bromelain is sold in a powdered form, which is combined with a marinade, or directly sprinkled on the uncooked meat. The enzyme will penetrate the meat and, by a process called forking, cause the meat to become tender and palatable when cooked. If the enzyme is allowed to work for too long, however, the meat may become too "mushy" for the preferences of many consumers.

Apart from the mushiness of meat that has been over-tenderized, the activity of bromelain and similarly proteolytic plant enzymes may be undesirable where it is inappropriate. In dishes that depend on their protein content for important attributes, uncooked pineapple or its juice may be a nuisance. For example, some dishes such as brawn and jelly rely on the setting of gelatin. They will not set if they contain raw pineapple or pineapple juice. Raw figs, papaya, and similarly proteolytic vegetable matter causes similar problems. To prevent the incompatibility with gelatin problem, the fresh fruit should be cooked, or at least parboiled, sufficiently to inactivate the enzymes before using in such dishes. In general, thorough heating to above about 65 degrees C will suffice.[8] This problem does not affect dishes based on non-proteinaceaous gelling agents, such as agar, although such agents may be prevented from gelling by too much heating in acid recipes.

Who knew! Apparently not used since that is kind of what the Egg does, too!
  • Dave in Florida
    Options
    No, sorry, meant the white powder that you sprinkle on.

:))  sorry, I never have used the stuff.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    My mom used to buy cross rib steaks (from the chuck) and use that stuff overnight. They were as tender as tenderloin after grilling

Steve 

Caledon, ON