Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thermometer

Options
My tel-tru thermometer on my x large bge has a small circle of condensation in the center of the device when I cook. It dissipates once the egg cools. Should I b concerned that it is not accurate?

Comments

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    Mine has been the same way for a long time. If you are concerned with it not being accurate, take it out and check it in a pot of boiling water.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    You should calibrate all your thermometers.  My XL was 15 degrees off the day I brought it home from the dealer.
  • Rblument
    Rblument Posts: 27
    Options
    Thanks. I kinda think it is ok. I m afraid to start messing with it. I was in like the 15th percentile on the mechanical reasoning test I took in jr high and have only worsened during the aging process.
  • Duganboy
    Options
    I hear you.  Remember most of the time your grid temp is going to be a little less than the dome.  250 dome will equal about 225 grid (at least on my XL)
  • Rblument
    Rblument Posts: 27
    Options
    Good to know. Makes sense. I have been doing a low and slow since about 4 am this morning-brisket and pork butt-and the stall is driving me nuts. I have been keeping at around 225/230 but that would mean grid is around 200. Company coming at 7 so I think I will crank it up to 250/275 which would then mean I m cooking at 225/250. Make sense?
  • Duganboy
    Options
    I hear you.  Remember most of the time your grid temp is going to be a little less than the dome.  250 dome will equal about 225 grid (at least on my XL)
    Rblument said:
    Good to know. Makes sense. I have been doing a low and slow since about 4 am this morning-brisket and pork butt-and the stall is driving me nuts. I have been keeping at around 225/230 but that would mean grid is around 200. Company coming at 7 so I think I will crank it up to 250/275 which would then mean I m cooking at 225/250. Make sense?
    Crank it up.  Next time settle your dome 250-275 for low and slow.  Just a little learning curve and always err on the side of getting done early.  Then wrap in HD alum foil, then wrap in towels and put in a cooler.  they will hold for hours, just like you took them off the egg.
  • HogHeaven
    HogHeaven Posts: 326
    edited April 2013
    Options
    I always keep a temp probe at my cooking level and one in my meat. If you don't know the temp your meat is actually cooking at you can't cook with any confidence. You can just cut off the end of a potato and stick your probe in it so it will stay right next to the meat you are cooking so you know for sure what temp your meat is cooking at.