Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Increase Smoke flavor

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What is the proper way to increase the smoke flavor?[p]Thanks to all!!!

Comments

• jake42
    jake42 Posts: 932
    Options
    Newbie to egg,
    Add more wood. be careful not to add to much because it could get bitter.

• Mike in MN
    Mike in MN Posts: 546
    Options
    Newbie to egg,
    Lower temps also help. The type of wood chips/chunks or sawdust has a bearing on it, (mesquite is more potent than apple) as does the brand of lump. Then, to soak or not to soak....and finally, the type of meat you are cooking has a bearing on the end result. Poultry sucks up smoke like mad, beef is more forgiving.[p]Mike in MN

• Newbie to egg,
    Hickory and mesquite are stronger than pecan and fruitwoods are not as strong as pecan.
    Your choice of wood will give you stronger flavor.
    Jim

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Newbie to egg,
    There are probably 3 ways to increase smoke flavor, short of boiling the meat in liquid smoke. First, the smoke flavor is affected by the length of time that there is smoke present in the cooking chamber. Second, the amount of smoke present. Third, smokiness can be enhanced if the surface of the meat is moist. Good luck!
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Sandbagger
    Sandbagger Posts: 977
    Options
    The Naked Whiz, Is it true that meat right of the fridge, cold, absorbs more smoke that meat put on at room temp?
    Tom

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Sandbagger,
    no
    that comes from the thinking that smoke ring formation stops at a certain temp, which is, i think, 140 or so.[p]some folks put it on cold thinking the smoke ring will form deeper if the meat takes longer to hit 140 (not internal temp, but temp of the meat which is forming the smoke ring).
    but smoke will be deposited on meat no matter what temp, and no matter how long.[p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Sandbagger,
    What stike said. Meat doesn't absorb smoke. The smoke flavor essentially forms on the surface from the deposition of chemicals in the smoke onto the surface of the meat. I cover this in my ceramic/bbq FAQ.[p]TNW

[ul][li]The Ceramic FAQ: Meat Absorbing Smoke?[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • Sandbagger
    Options
    stike, thanks, makes sense to me. Tom

• Sandbagger
    Options
    The Naked Whiz, thanks for the follow up. New question, have you ever done any temperature datalogging in the egg? I am considering a new toy and trying to justify it. Tom

• myronmixonwannabe
    Options
    I have had the same problem, with all the meat I have cooked on my XLBGE. I have tried everything and am beginning to think that the BGE science prohibits a good "thick" smoke flavor due to moisture content.

I am seasoned bbq'er and have smoked on everything from a trashcan to a Lang. I love the XLBGE, but I can't taste the smoke, no matter what.

Someone show me I am wrong, please.