Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Impressive Flashback!

Dyal_SCDyal_SC Posts: 2,583
Burped the bastard about 7 or 8 times. LOL. Still got me. I didn't want all that arm hair anyways. ;)
·

Comments

• caneggercanegger Posts: 537
    edited April 2013
    I think sooner or later we all get it.
    ·
  • SookieSookie Posts: 294
    Ow.  Yeah I got mine hot enough that it singed my eyelashes once.  Don't want to do that again.  Be careful. 
    ·
  • EddieK76EddieK76 Posts: 415
    I remember my first time.  It was magical and I saw stars and felt weak in my knees....
    ·
  • Dyal_SCDyal_SC Posts: 2,583
    I'm ok.... LOL. It was so quick that all it got was my arm hair. Used to it now....almost second nature. ;)
    ·
  • SmokinDAWG82SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,704
    So let me guess, you had just added new lump, BGE brand or WGWW
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
    ·
  • egger aveegger ave Posts: 580
    edited April 2013
    My neighbor asked me to look at his new gas grill a few weeks ago. He was having problems lighting it. I walked in his yard just in time to see a heck of a flash when he opened the grill. Got his arms, eyebrows, eyelashes and some hair on his head. His dog didn't escape unsinged either. He is considering a BGE now.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 4 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. "Friends don't let friends cook with propane"
    ·
  • Dyal_SCDyal_SC Posts: 2,583
    Just added new Royal Oak....stabilizing it at 425 deg f for the deep dish pizza I'm about to throw on. I personally find that 400-450 is the most dangerous zone for flashbacks. :) I burped it again and again, but it apparently decided it wanted to gulp a last bit of oxygen on my last lift. ;)
    ·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 7,145
    EddieK76 said:
    I remember my first time.  It was magical and I saw stars and felt weak in my knees....
    We are talking about fwoomp, flashbacks you know......
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • ddeggerddegger Posts: 244
    I got one doing a tenderloin at about 400 - maybe you are right about the temp. Like you, I burped it multiple times and was shocked when the flashback happened. Fortunately, I learned early to keep my head back, so only got some arm hair.
    ·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 7,063
    Yowza! Note to self - Must always remember to burp. Otherwise my hand may end up like VI's... without the photoshop.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • JMSetzlerJMSetzler Posts: 75
    I had my first experience with flashback over the weekend.  I cooked a 17lb brisket overnight Saturday night and it finished up around 2pm on Sunday.  I took it off and rested it and wanted to toss on a dish of mac & cheese.  When I ramped up the temp to 375-ish, I was getting a lot of billowing white smoke from brisket residue on the deflector plate.  I was getting so much of it I was not adequately able to burp the grill and I still got 'bitten' by it.  I guess there are times when a drip pan does come in handy :)
    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,416
    I don't don't mind the flashback.

Do you all have any idea how much I've saved on shaving supplies? Plus, I have a nice tan all year long.
    ·
  • bccomstockbccomstock Posts: 336
    I think the action of raising and lowering the dome in succession multiple times will force enough air into the fire pit to cause a flashback.. Luckily I've been able to close the dome before any flashbacks have caught me.. The first time I did a multi-burp (a couple in succession) and started to hear a whooshing sound.. Last time it happened I saw flames coming out the top vent..

LBGE
    MS Gulf Coast - Proud member of the Who Dat Nation!
    My Not Frequently Updated Blog: http://datcue.wordpress.com
    ·
  • daffy1909daffy1909 Posts: 454
    havent got my (tattoo) yet,but im sure its coming!!!!! :))
    ·
  • AdamdAdamd Posts: 160
    I was cooking burgers direct one day and we all know you get that grease dripping and the fire can really go crazy. I opened it like normal 3 or 4 times up and down and the fire just flashed up fast and a big ball of fire came out. It was cool, but I did drop the dome but all is ok. Thank god the dome was not up that high. 
    ·